If using pages, is it only possible to add a "relevant" condition to entire groups?

03-29-2019 04:13 PM
AndrewMoskaLee
New Contributor III

I would like some questions within a group to appear based on a relevant statement, but it doesn't work.  Also, I would like to have groups appear as compact, but as far as I can tell this is also not possible when using "pages".

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You should be able to configure questions to appear based on relevant statements within a group whilst using the 'Pages' survey style. You should also be able to apply a compact appearance to a group within a page. Note that your 'page' groups, those that are assigned a 'field-list' appearance, cannot also have a compact appearance applied.

If you'd like to send through more details (eg device, operating system version, Survey123 app version etc) and even your xlsform I can try to reproduce your issues and help trouble shoot further.

Best regards,

Brett

0 Kudos
AndrewMoskaLee
New Contributor III

Thanks Brett.  I got pages and groups working as well as group relevance.  I'm trying to convert a complicated ODK survey to proper Survey123 format and little things are causing major problems.  I wasn't getting any errors or warnings, but certain features were just not responding properly. Pull data was not working and neither was pages and groups and group relevance. After a lot of trial and error, it turned out to be one pull data calculation for a select-multiple field.  As soon as I removed that one calculation a number of features started working correctly.

Now I'm having an issue trying to implement a multi-page repeat scheme.  If I don't add "field-list" to the 'begin repeat' then the 'begin repeat' label is present on every page of the survey.  If I do add “field-list” to the 'begin repeat', then I can’t add subsequent pages using ‘begin group’, “field-list”, until after I do “end repeat’.

Also when I use relevance on an entire group, and the relevance criteria are not met, it seems to leave a blank page in the survey, instead of just completely skipping the group.  Is there a way to just skip a non-relevant group without showing a blank page? 

-Andy

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew,

While using the 'pages' style in the 'settings' tab of your survey, a new page will be created when the 'field-list' appearance is added to groups or repeats. All other questions (that aren't within a group or repeat tagged with the 'field-list' appearance), will be visible on every page of your survey.

It sounds like you may be trying to have a new page for each repeat record? This is not currently possible, but I can open a request enhancement if you provide more details of your use case and exactly what you're trying to achieve.

We have an open issue for the blank page behaviour you are experiencing. I've added your post/comments to the issue.

Regards,
Brett

0 Kudos