Ideas on resolving default location points in live survey?

03-04-2021 12:20 PM
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Howdy.

I'm wondering if anyone has workflow ideas for redistributing/geocoding points from a survey that are being placed/left at the Map question's default location.  While the question is required, it still accepts no interaction and places the pin in Kansas.  I have looked around The Community and while a programmatic/preemptive fix for this issue is talked about, I'm curious about a plan of attack for taking those points from a live (open) survey (currently 500 of 1,900 responses) and geocoding them using other data collected in the survey, like ZIP.

I imagine this would require either deleting them from the service and appending after they are geocoded (hopefully maintaining things like Create Date, etc.) or appending the geocoded version and just marking default ones in a certain way so as to filter them from the map/dashboard.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StuartMoore
Occasional Contributor III

you could use the rest endpoint to update the geomentry of the point.

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/update-features.htm

another option that we use to survey known assets is to use collector, the surveyor then starts a survey by selecting the asset in collector and click a custom link that opens a blank survey in survey123 and pre-populates the address of the asset and the map point

Stu

0 Kudos
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Stu.  I'll look into the REST endpoint some more but it looks like this may be more useful for a small number of points?  I'm up to 583 of 2,009 respondents having left the map alone.

Derek

0 Kudos
StuartMoore
Occasional Contributor III

there is also the apply edits end point both will let you update a good amount in one go, you could script it with python, another option might be to use Pro or desktop and updating it from their again you could script it

Stu

0 Kudos
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Still lacking confidence in scripting, particularly with a live project like this, I'm still leaning toward a more manual select>export>geocode>append type solution in Pro.  Obviously not for everyone, as it would need to be repeated periodically through the life of the survey (another couple months), but I feel like I'd have control over the situation.  Comments on this approach also appreciated.

0 Kudos