I have exported my Survey123 data into a shape file but when I add it to my Arcmap document it does not display at all.

08-24-2018 06:18 AM
RowennaBaker
New Contributor

I have the results of a survey which consists of geolocations and related attributes.  I can visualise all the data in My Survey Form results page on the Survey123 website, however when I go to export this data as a shapefile, the shapefile will not show up in my ArcMap document.  The data is in the attribute table, but there are no points showing the locations displayed.  All the settings seem to be as they should, so am slightly confused as to why these features are not displaying.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. It is hard to say what the problem could be. Have you tried exporting to File Geodatabase format?

0 Kudos
JenniferLaws
Esri Contributor

Hi, Ismael. I am encountering the same issue where if I export survey data from the Survey123 website as a shapefile, it won't visualize in ArcMap, but the data will visualize if exported as a File Geodatabase. Would you happen to know what could be causing the issue with the data being in the shapefile format?

0 Kudos
RowennaBaker
New Contributor

This worked a treat!  Thank you Ismael

0 Kudos
RobinMulvey
New Contributor

I have had the same problem with the Survey123 shapefile not displaying in ArcMap. When I download the Survey123 data in all available file types, I find that the shapefile (ironically) does not appear to contain necessary spatial information to display, but that the shapefile layer contained within the file geodatabase does. Also, when I 'zoom to layer' using the shapefile, the extent zooms way out but still does not show my datapoints. Why is this? I have also had some trouble calculating geometry in created lat/long fields (add field, define as double, name as x/y or lat/long- the calculated geometry option is grayed out) in both the shapefile and the shapefile layer in the geodatabase. Has anyone else dealt with these issues, apparently related to the question above? Thanks!

0 Kudos