I am unable to republish my survey in Survey123 (Online version)-Column name error

Jump to solution
10-15-2020 11:18 AM
KyleMcElroy
New Contributor III

I am getting this error when I try and republish my survey:

"Column names in each table must be unique. Column name 'wind_consequence_other' in table 'db_37801.user_37801.survey123_263a85164ac94497abe33ac1847c3dcf_SURVEY' is specified more than once"

However I go through the schema and I only have one  "wind_consequence_other" in the column. Even did a search to make sure. Not sure what to do next. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanMcLaughlin2
New Contributor

Hi Kyle,

I recently had a similar issue and the following is a potential solution. In survey123, created using the online version versus the desktop application, if you delete a question in your survey, and then recreate the same question using similar naming conventions, this error can occur when trying to publish or republish your survey. Basically what you are doing is, in the hosted feature layer, making a new field in your attribute table. And then when you delete and recreate that same question you are creating a duplicate field in the attribute table of the hosted feature layer. In order to remedy this, you need to go into the hosted feature layer in Arcgis online and delete one of the fields from the attribute table via the data tab. However, you can lose data that has already been collected if you delete the field in the table. I would recommend making a copy of the data that has already been collected by downloading a .shp or file GDB from the hosted feature layer before deleting any field from the attribute table.

if you need any assistance or clarification feel free to reach out.

Sean McLaughlin

County of McKean GIS

spmclaughlin@mckeancountypa.org

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kyle,

Are you using repeats/related tables in your survey? Did you create it from existing feature service?

Also can you please provide a copy of your xlsx file so we can take a closer look?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KyleMcElroy
New Contributor III

I didn't have an xlsx sheet, at least not that I know of as I was creating this in Survey123 Online. No repeats!

0 Kudos
SeanMcLaughlin2
New Contributor

Hi Kyle,

I recently had a similar issue and the following is a potential solution. In survey123, created using the online version versus the desktop application, if you delete a question in your survey, and then recreate the same question using similar naming conventions, this error can occur when trying to publish or republish your survey. Basically what you are doing is, in the hosted feature layer, making a new field in your attribute table. And then when you delete and recreate that same question you are creating a duplicate field in the attribute table of the hosted feature layer. In order to remedy this, you need to go into the hosted feature layer in Arcgis online and delete one of the fields from the attribute table via the data tab. However, you can lose data that has already been collected if you delete the field in the table. I would recommend making a copy of the data that has already been collected by downloading a .shp or file GDB from the hosted feature layer before deleting any field from the attribute table.

if you need any assistance or clarification feel free to reach out.

Sean McLaughlin

County of McKean GIS

spmclaughlin@mckeancountypa.org

0 Kudos
KyleMcElroy
New Contributor III

Thanks Sean!

I believe this was the problem as when I signed on today I ended up getting a different error that was more Googleable.(Error: Publishing failed to complete. Unable to add feature service definition. Error code 400)

I followed the process to delete the folder from the first publishing event and it worked! I appreciate your response though.

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sean McLaughlinKyle McElroy‌,

Thanks for your feedback.

I can reproduce the issue as Sean described and can confirm it's the reason of the error. I've logged the issue in our dev repo to fix in a future release.

Besides trying to delete the existing field from the underlying feature layer, as a workaround, you can use the Modify schema dialog to rename the secondly added question with a different name then the first one to avoid this issue.

Regards,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

This fix to this issue is now available on the Beta Survey123 website https://survey123beta.arcgis.com, same reproduce steps should not cause any issue now.

Thanks again for @KyleMcElroy and @SeanMcLaughlin2 for the feedback.

0 Kudos