How to use Survey123 to add information about polygon

11-25-2019 10:46 AM
BasilicTek
New Contributor

I have polygons representing crops/fields. Each polygon has attributes like name, crop, owner...I need to create a pesticide entry system, where field workers input what field and what pesticides were applied. I also have a list of pesticides to work with, and each pesticide has an x number of "do not enter" hours.

My end result would be a web app where we can see which fields are safe to work in and which aren't. For example, the field crew would use survey 123 to say which polygon they worked in, which pesticide was sprayed and what time the spray application happened.

I can't seem to work this one out. I tried creating related tables in arcpro, create a feature service and then create a survey from that feature service but it is not doing what I want,

thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BasilicTek
New Contributor

oh and I forgot to mention, I also need to keep a history of all information that was entered. I think this means that I can't just the "editing existing features" feature. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

See my post on this here https://community.esri.com/thread/221263-mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-admin-unit 

You are correct to setup a relationship class.

BasilicTek
New Contributor

thanks for your answer ! Pardon my ignorance, so I should use collector even though I am not collecting any points/lines/polygons ? 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Collector would hold your reference layer.  You said you have all the polygons so have them in Collector.  Then a user can see where they are and then launch from the polygon they want to link to.  It is also really handy for helping them find where they are supposed to go.

In 123 you ALWAYS collect geometry.  It can be 0,0 or something useful like where they were at the time.  Our users said the same thing at first.  But I showed them how we could see things like a user was at the wrong spot or labeled the area wrong.  Easy fix with spatial.  Clears up a lot of confusion.  (We had things like - "road needs repair".  Guy goes out and says "looks fine".  Look at the forms and guy 2 went to the wrong spot.)  We also could see things like users filling out all their forms from the same place (meaning they did not actually even go).

For you use it to prove they went to the correct spot and at the correct time of day.  (In collector you could even hide or color in red polygons they should not go to based on the time of day - that would be slick)  Also if someone complains you have a record of it.  I see 0 advantage to not tracking this.

0 Kudos
BasilicTek
New Contributor

brilliant ! thanks for your explanation. I have never used collector and am new to all of this so I will be very slow in all of this. It would indeed be awesome if I could get collector to change the color of polygons based on the time of day. We are trying to make sure the facilities remain as safe as possible.

thanks again. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out this post for more on symbol by date.  It is a little more advanced but doable.

https://community.esri.com/thread/243196-dynamic-symbology-based-on-days-passed 

0 Kudos