How to use Survey123 as a test and tally the final score?

Jump to solution
02-24-2021 06:07 AM
DaveK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello! 

I'm trying to set up a survey to be used for employees to take as an online test. The test consists of multiple select_one/select_multiple questions and each question has one or more right answers. I would like to assign the right answers a score of 1 and tally the results using a hidden score field to know if the users passed or not. What would be the best way to go about accomplishing this? 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Typically for this you have a corresponding calculate type row for each question.  This field does something like if(${field1} = "Correct answer", 1, 0)

For select multiple you need to use selected and then an or if there is more than one correct answer if(selected(${field1}, "Correct answer") or selected(${field1}, "Correct answer 2"), 1, 0)

At the very end you can add them all up.  ${Check1} + ${Check 2} ...

Make sure to set the bind type field to int on the checks so that your final answer does an add and not a concat.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Typically for this you have a corresponding calculate type row for each question.  This field does something like if(${field1} = "Correct answer", 1, 0)

For select multiple you need to use selected and then an or if there is more than one correct answer if(selected(${field1}, "Correct answer") or selected(${field1}, "Correct answer 2"), 1, 0)

At the very end you can add them all up.  ${Check1} + ${Check 2} ...

Make sure to set the bind type field to int on the checks so that your final answer does an add and not a concat.

Hope that helps

DaveK
by
Occasional Contributor

perfect! Thanks @DougBrowning 

DaveK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hey @DougBrowning , 

Do you have a method for tallying up a select multiple with each selection having a point associated with it? 

For example: 

"Which Equals 4?"

A. 2+2

B. 1+3

C. 3+1

D. 5-1

I would like to assign each of these a point so the question total would equal 4 points. Currently the question is set up to be a single point for the entire question. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think I know but you mean but not positive.

In your simple example all answers are correct so just count-selected(${previous_question}) would work.

But if you have to test each one then all I can think of off the top of my head is to have 4 fields.

if(selected(${field1}, "Correct answer"), 1, 0)

if(selected(${field1}, "Correct answer 2"), 1, 0)

etc.   Then add those 4 fields up.  Of course this can get really long depending on the list.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
DaveK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hey @DougBrowning worked exactly as I needed. Thanks again for the help! 

0 Kudos