How to track who submit an answer to a question and when in report.

Jump to solution
01-14-2022 09:16 PM
JeremieCote
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am building quite a long survey where multiple users can edit it in the inbox after the initial survey was sent.

Ultimately, I want to build a report where I can see next to each response who and when (date and time) the question was answered.

How should I proceed?

Edit:

I forgot to specify that I use Survey123 connect Version 3.13.249

I followed the advice given on this post (Solved: Tracking edited responses - Esri Community) to achieve what I want. I don't know if it is the most efficient way of tracking question edits but it works. 

A small problem, my survey will probably have about a thousand questions in it so I am looking for a way to automate the process of writing questions that track the answers of the questions in my survey.

I include in this post a Excel file of a example I made that tracks the answer to a text question and up to 3 edits.

Can I put the tracking questions in a repeat so I don't need to add like 20 tracking questions per question in my survey? Is there an other way like using Macros or javascript to achieve what I want?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JeremieCote,

I took a look at your test survey XLSForm, and to me, that looks like the correct way to do it. Unfortunately there is no easier way to do this, if you want to record and store this info in the feature layer you need to create a field and use the calculations for every question the way you have. It can not be automated by macros or JS functions.

If you wanted to use a repeat, to take the tracking questions out of the parent layer and into a related table, that is also possible. The only issue will be where you want to use and query this data after it is submitted, having it in a related table has its limitations. For example you can't easily see it in a web map pop-up alongside the submitted data, also when using python, table Data view in AGO or from within Pro, without opening the related table and having to query the related record for the primary record you have selected.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JeremieCote,

I took a look at your test survey XLSForm, and to me, that looks like the correct way to do it. Unfortunately there is no easier way to do this, if you want to record and store this info in the feature layer you need to create a field and use the calculations for every question the way you have. It can not be automated by macros or JS functions.

If you wanted to use a repeat, to take the tracking questions out of the parent layer and into a related table, that is also possible. The only issue will be where you want to use and query this data after it is submitted, having it in a related table has its limitations. For example you can't easily see it in a web map pop-up alongside the submitted data, also when using python, table Data view in AGO or from within Pro, without opening the related table and having to query the related record for the primary record you have selected.

Regards,

Phil.