How to set Survey 123 to only open the field app, when clicking on it in ArcGIS Online.

Jump to solution
01-29-2019 10:56 AM
MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

I created a Survey using Survey 123 Connect and published it to AGOL. I then signed into the Survey 123 website to set how I want the survey to open from ArcGIS Online. I select "Open the survey in the Survey 123 field app directly." However, when I click on the survey in Survey 123, it only opens through the web browser and not the field app which is installed on my computer. Am I doing something wrong? I only want the survey to open in the field app, since users are going to be using the Inbox extensively.

The survey was published using Connect version 3.1.26

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
5 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael

Thanks for the screenshot and description. Could you please clarify how you are launching the survey?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett

Hey Jim,

I got off the phone earlier with tech support. When clicking on a survey form in ArcGIS Online from your computer, there isn't a way to make it open up in the field app by default. it's always going to open the web version by default. In the screen shot I provided, the area that I circled refers only to the short link just above it.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply and for clarifying you're accessing the survey in ArcGIS Online. As you've covered with Support, selecting the field app link option provides a short URL that will launch the survey in the field app, with the intention that this URL can be distributed to those users who will be submitting data. As you've already discovered this does not affect the default behaviour when clicking on the form item in ArcGIS Online.

Disabling the "Create web form" option as suggested on this thread by mark dynge is useful in that it would not be possible for users to access a web form version of the survey (as no such version would exist); however, this also does not affect the default behaviour when clicking on the form item in ArcGIS Online or the default survey link on the Survey123 website.

If users are going to launch the survey from ArcGIS Online, one option could be to add the field app URL as a hyperlink to the item description on the form item's Overview page, or advise users to use the Open in Survey123 app option from the drop-down in the top-right.

We have an open enhancement request to improve the handling of surveys on the Survey123 website when they are published from Connect with the web form disabled.

Best regards,

Jim

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

dont publish web form if you don

MichaelTorbett

Thank you Mark and Jim,

I published this survey a while ago through Connect and completely forgot about that option. Unfortunately as Jim stated, it will not overwrite the default behavior from my initial publishing. Lesson learned for next time though! I really appreciate your help. What I'm going to do is add the instructions into the summary and description section of the form.

Have a great week,

Michael