How to get Android devices to open Survey123 surveys?

01-13-2017 11:24 AM
Division_of_NaturalAreas
New Contributor

I've been developing a public survey to send out to some volunteers. For the most part, they are not having issues following directions on how to download the app and then open the deep link from the email I sent. HOWEVER, I've had at least two volunteers tell me that they can't click the link in the email and open prompt the survey to open. They are both using Android devices.

Now - I am not a developer, so I've read things here and there about the links and Survey123, but it's totally over my head. Can someone walk me through what's going on, why Androids won't open these links, and what I need to do to get these people up and running? In laymans terms?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In short - deep links are not fully supported on Android.  We're working to provide a more universal link process.  If you're authoring via the Survey123 website, they can still submit via the web page.  If you're authoring via Survey123 Connect, a possible solution in the meantime might be to try the new web viewer we just launched in beta- it's available by clicking on the globe icon when the survey is open and selecting 'Open in Survey123 web app'.  

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

A quick update - the links work when presented as a hyperlink in a web page.  We will be including that as part of the survey access experience in a future update to Survey123, but for now you could place it as a link in your own web pages.

0 Kudos
douglascurl
New Contributor III

I've been running into this issue too. We have a workflow where we generate custom URI's of deep links (that prepopulate values on the form) that are sent via email to users for a survey they need to fill out. We are running into an issue where Android gmail users cannot open the link because it's stripped in gmail, and they cannot copying and paste the URI in chrome - the app does not open (google just does a search for that string). What would be useful is one of 2 things:

- allow users to open the Survey123 app and paste in the URI to the survey there - these users are public users and do not have ArcGIS Online accounts and cannot login to get forms.

- allow these custom URLs to be sent to the web page version of the form - thank you for answering that this is being worked on in the blog post about custom URL's: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

But if you have any ideas on how to make this work for my Android users, I'd really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Doug,

Thanks for describing your use case- this is an area we ant to improve, wo having a workflow to target is helpful.