How to display a field used multiple times in survey inbox?

08-17-2018 01:48 PM
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

I use the field DateCreated in both the survey, and in a repeat section (for related records). I see the cell highlighted in red about having a duplicate field name in the survey. I don't really care, because this works just fine, the related record gets the date created and so does the survey.

Okay. But when I run into issues, is using the DateCreated field in the survey in the survey title field for the inbox picker.

I want to display the date created to the user so they know what survey they're opening. But I get this error:

How can I workaround this and display the date the survey was created to the user in the inbox?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gregg,

There is a requirement that the field names be unique in all of the tables of the survey (see XLSForm essentials—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ); you will need to rename one of the fields.

0 Kudos
roemhildtg
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James. I wasn't aware of that limitation. The survey seems to work fine with the current set up.

I do see the documentation now though, thanks for the info.

> The name column determines the name of the ArcGIS feature service column in which the response to the question will be stored. No spaces or special characters are allowed in this column. No two rows can have the same content.

This is an interesting limitation, are there plans to remove the limitation? Consider the following use cases for allowing this:

1. Editor tracking enabled - These fields are set by arcgis internally cannot be changed to be unique in a survey.

2. GlobalID - These fields are also set by arcgis and cannot be changed in a survey.

3. OBJECTID - also set by arcgis.

Considering the above use cases, including any of these fields in a survey is technically illegal if you're trying to use related records in a survey.

0 Kudos