How to design a custom report layout

Jump to solution
11-30-2016 01:04 PM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, 

I collected data using Survey123 to create inventory of Historical buildings

in a small village. What I want is to build a custom  report layout. Unfortunately,

ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 report builder doesn't have such flexibility compared to

Crystal Reports.

In my case,  each section in the report should get  the selected attribute. The report

would include a picture of the building, a map showing location of the building, and

other details such as building type, building structure.So, I would be able to create  

and print report of the selected buildings. I attached the sample inventory form to

clarify my question.

I would appreciate if you could share your experiences and suggestions on this matter. 
20 Replies
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

This is exactly what I was going to say. I use this method for every mobile mapping project where reporting is required (which is most of the time). Using dynamic attributes with data driven pages is just much easier to do especially if map is required too.

deleted-user-FfGbgR253rTy
New Contributor III

Attached photos are a bit trickier, but everything else can pretty much be done with data driven pages... Although you may want to modify your template...

Also, it's worth using rectangle text boxes to force wrapping etc.
Limitations include when you need multiple pages for a single row of data (or related table info). At that point you're getting into stuff not well supported by ESRI... and may need to look at business partners like SafeSoftware and FME.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As has been mentioned, data driven pages is a good option, assuming you can fit everything on one page.

What I would love to see is an option for Survey123 to export survey results as a PDF, in the same format as the survey that you designed.  I'm having users come back wanting me to print out their completed surveys.  They don't want a separate report, they want it to look like the Survey123 entry form, just with the answers filled in.

FatmaŞenol

Yes, data driven pages is an option  but I still think it would be great if there is an option for

Survey 123 to print (as pdf, word or excel file) completed surveys on a custom designed report

separately or a single record including photo(s) taken using Survey123. 

Is anyone at ESRI could post a solution or suggestion ?

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Omur,

At this time, the solutions described above are the best solutions for printing out the surveys.  We are interested in supporting printing of the survey data with a custom format, though we don't have any immediate plans to focus on it. Additionally, this sort of functionality is something that could benefit the entire ArcGIS platform and we would a solution that can support the requirements of multiple applications.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks James,

Survey 123 has come so far, quite quickly.  It is a great tool.   In my opinion the largest remaining gap for it is this report functionality. If this were available, then the tool would become a full-circle application that we could deploy on a project from start to finish: 1 - Collect data, 2) Analyze data, 3) Report results

When speaking with many other Survey123 users, this is their most frequent question as well.  In my humble opinion it should be a high priority item.

Looking forward to this eventually becoming available.  

Cheers,

Brendan

FinnianO_Connor

Just adding another voice supporting report generation from Survey123. It is very much a requirement for certain data sets being collected and while there are ways to produce a report the simplest and most convenient option would be directly from the app itself.

Cheers,

Finnian

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

James, 

I'm sorry for not responding your comments earlier. Of course, the described solutions would work but there are limitations. I strongly believe that report functionality should be given higher priority. I hope and wish that the next version of Survey123 would have integrated a flexible report functionality. On the other hand, as you mentioned such functionality would be great benefit to the entire ArcGIS  platform.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

RaviSingh1
New Contributor II

For text data you can create table in Arcgis Online Popup as discussed here: https://community.esri.com/thread/94951 

kind regards

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I did it using Data Driven pages.  See the post here.

https://community.esri.com/message/586285#586285 

0 Kudos