How to configure Survey123 Connect to capture Attachement in existing Feature Service

01-19-2018 02:32 PM
MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

I am having trouble figuring out how to configure the XLSX in Survey123 Connect to use my attachements.

When I created a new Survey using the Existing Feature Service, it only brought in the fields from the main Feature service.  But when I published it was from a featureclass with Attachments enabled and in the MapViewer i can add new features and attach multiple images to them. 

I think I understand the concept or Repeats, I am just not sure how to configure the columns in the Excel spreadsheet to tell it which table / field name to use to store the image.

From the Rest Endpoint, I can Query Attachements and see data

I tried putting "HoleLocations__ATTACH" in the Name field for the Repeat row and DATA as in the Name field for the image row.

Am I way off?

I am attaching 2 screen shots one of my spreadsheet, the other of the rest results in case that helps.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael

It looks like your feature service is fine.

As there is no such thing as an attachment field type in a feature service, Connect can't read them and automatically create associated questions in the form. Therefore when using an existing feature service all you need to do is ensure that attachments are enabled, and then manually add one or more image (or audio) questions to the form. Survey123 will then use the question name as a keyword property to link the attachment to the question that it should be linked to.

Note that the above is true for questions inside or outside of the repeat. No need to use anything like: "HoleLocations__ATTACH"

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

John,

I did get it to work for non-repeated images.

But when I put it inside a repeat,  it makes me put something for the Name and Label fields in the xlsx. 

I used "Visual"

But then I try to publish, it says, The Custom feature sevice "submission_url" is not compatible with this survey (Table Visual not found).

Also my next step would be to add a filed that is in the attachement table so the user can name the photo.  I am guessing either I will use the name of the filed and it will figure it out, or I would need a table name for that.  

Any clarification on either point will be appreciated greatly.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael

When you you create a survey from an existing feature service that has a related table, Connect should pull through the related table and fields as a repeat and questions. If this is not happening then there is something wrong with the feature service configuration.

Please verify that the feature service supports supportsApplyEditsWithGlobalId and that the relationship is based on GlobalID (parent layer) and GUID (child table). For more information on this, please see: Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS.

Once the repeat and questions are populated in the form, you will then need to manually add in the image questions.

Cheers

John 

0 Kudos
LeahSperduto
New Contributor III

Have you found a solution to this?  I am struggling with this as well.  I seem to be able to get the survey to allow an image attachment to be added to a NEW survey, but not add any to an INBOX survey item.

Thanks,

Leah

0 Kudos
TimDine
Occasional Contributor II

Any luck on resolving this?  I'm having the same issue.  I can create records on new surveys, but existing surveys can't add an attachment.

0 Kudos
SebastianDrexel
New Contributor

Hi Michael,

I'm currently receiving the same error message when trying to publish my survey based on an existing feature service, although I've already considered the hints from Jonathan Hasthorpe.

Did you find a solution for this problem? If that is the case I would appreciate a hint on how to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Sebastian

0 Kudos