How to automatically ask the phone to get the location?

07-18-2019 07:58 AM
PritpalRoopra
New Contributor

I am making a survey using Connect that will be solely used on mobile browsers (since it is a crowdsourcing survey and they will not have the app downloaded). When you make a survey using the web tools instead of Connect there is a checkbox to "Ask for device's location when opening this question" which is exactly what I need. However, there doesn't seem to be an option to do the same when it is built in Connect. Without this option the user has to click the crosshairs button to go to their location and pin it, which can be confusing in a situation that needs quick response.

I am also looking to hide the map (I already hid the input) if that's possible to limit user confusion but understand if this isn't possible on the browser surveys.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdilsonFurlani
New Contributor III

Hello Priptal.

Via Connect, in xlsform, when you create a field of type GEOPOINT (out of a repetition) it automatically picks up the coordinate when the search is opened (the Collect option) in the field app. It does not pick up the coordinate automatically if the search comes from the Inbox, Draft, Outbox or Sent areas.

Previously, within a repetition and with each repetition, Survey123 automatically collected a coordinate in a GEOPOINT field, but from version 3.5.164 (field app), within repetition, it is necessary to touch the "target" icon to collect a coordinate. I hope they fix this shortly.

Good luck.

PS: Another failure that I found in this same point (GEOPOINT in repetition) was that, in the first item of a repetition, geopoint does not apply the result of the calculate field (it is necessary to touch the "update" button to apply), but from the second of repetition onwards works normally. Pretty crazy this.

0 Kudos