How is the public Story Map data used by ESRI?

05-11-2020 10:48 AM
JessicaRutherford
New Contributor III

Hello 

I am trying to find out how my crowd sourcing story map data that is public is used by ESRI? I have created a crowd sourcing Story Map using an embedded Survey from the Survey 123, and I am asking for location data. People have asked me who has access to this data and who is it available to. I am assuming that as this is a crowd sourcing project, the information is available to all public users -is this correct?

Looking for some clarification.

Thanks 

Jessica 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jessica -- Tagging the Survey123 for ArcGIS space for an answer to this.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jessica,

As the owner of the survey, this is largely controlled by you.  

For crowd-sourced surveys, we first encourage you to set the 'What can submitters do?' setting in Survey123 website to 'Add Only'; this will prevent people from accessing the submitted data via submission endpoint.  See https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2020/05/11/securing-data-in-public-surveys-survey12... and https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2020/05/11/securing-data-in-public-surveys-survey12... .

When sharing the data out via the Stakeholder (or another view), you choose the audience that can see the results.  If you share the results publicly, then everyone will be able to access the data submitted.  Note that you can hide certain fields or records through the view's definition; see Set hosted feature layer view definition—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation for more details.  You may, for example, want to add a field to store whether a response has been reviewed and then filter out those records that have not been reviewed from displaying.

0 Kudos
JessicaRutherford
New Contributor III

Hello James

Thank you for the information. I have set my parameters fro sharing, visualization and collaboration to the minimal while to having the Story Map visual to everyone. I guess what I was seeking was clarification on how the this type of data is used by ESRI, and if they use this information. Basically what are the privacy right to this information. 

I will have a good read on the links you provided, and maybe this will provide some clarification.

Thanks 

Jessica 

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jessica Rutherford‌  Here is one additional read for you: Privacy—ArcGIS Trust Center | Documentation 

0 Kudos