How does Survey123 determine it's offline? Mine thinks it's offline when a network connection is available.

06-26-2017 11:04 PM
deleted-user-pMf6yYPfLjhX
New Contributor

Using Survey123 version 2.1.6, on iOS, connected to Portal 10.5, and using per App VPN, I am able to login to the Portal and download surveys; However as soon as I try to submit the survey the App reports that it is offline.  Once this offline status is reported the login menu disappears. 

How does the Survey123 app check its online / offline status?  Is the check repeated?

Survey123 reports Offline with LTE and VPN.

Survey123 doesn

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sol,

This issue is specific to per app VPNs. We are looking into this at the moment (for another user). Could you let me know what VPN solution you are using?

I'll add you to the issue, so that you can be updated on developments.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
deleted-user-pMf6yYPfLjhX
New Contributor

Thanks,

I am using an BIG-IP F5 SSL per App VPN. F5 Edge Client is version 2.1.0 build 572 (current). Login method is On Demand certificate based for our domain.

There is also an outbound web proxy after the VPN allowing access to arcgis.com<http://arcgis.com>.

Other apps including Collector work with AGO and Portal.

I assume AppFramework.network.isOnline has issues with per App VPN.

Sol

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information - we are still working on a solution for this and will update this post when we do.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sol,

I would like to check with you if you are still having issues with Per App VPN and Survey123 on iOS devices? Since the above post back in July 2017, we have been doing extensive testing internally with MDM solutions and Per App VPN configurations, as well as released several updates to the app and are now at version 3.0. Have you tested your Per App VPN setup with version 3.0 of the iOS app? Can you provide any feedback as to whether it now works as expected?

Phil.

0 Kudos
AaronThompson
New Contributor III

Did this issue ever get resolved? I am now having the same issue when connected to our network through a VPN.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aaron,

We're investigating VPN connection issues- can you provide more specifics about the VPN technology your organization uses?  Feel free to e-mail me directly- jtedrick at Esri.com

AaronThompson
New Contributor III

After updating our iPads to iOS 11, the issue is no longer present. We now do not get stuck in offline mode and can submit our surveys over a VPN on both wifi and cell coverage. 

Edit: We are able to submit surveys smoothly with iOS 11 and Survey123 v2.3.29. One one iPad, I upgraded Survey123 to v2.4.70 and now get an send error code 400 when attempting to submit the same survey with the same inputs as on a device with v2.3.29. Did the way that Survey123 formats or submits data to an existing feature service change with this update? 

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aaron - could you provide us with a screen shot of the the error message and also a copy of your survey.

We have made changes around the way information is sent to the server around attachments and null values. 

Can I also ask if any of the fields in the service don't allow null values?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
AaronThompson
New Contributor III

Johnathan,

My apologies for the late response. I was able to get a hold of James Tedrick and resolve the issue. Based upon his counsel, I had to do some reconfiguration of my feature service to have "Supports ApplyEdits With Global Ids" set to True. That solved our issue immediately. 

Thanks,

Aaron