How do I view Survey123 photos in the web map popups?

10-18-2017 07:42 AM
MelindaLamb
New Contributor III

I'm looking for a nice way to review the data and view the photos I'm taken with my Survey123 form.  I would like to use a Web Map or a Web App but I'm having trouble viewing my photos from my related tables in the web map.  Ideally I would like to flip through them in my popup when I click on the point.  I have 4 photos at each point.  The web map doesn't seem to support this without some complicated configuration.  Any suggestions?  I like the format in the data/individual pane of the Survey123 site, but I want to have more features on my map and more search options build in.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Melinda,

This is an ArcGIS Online specific issue and not a Survey123 issue. It may be better to browse and try to find an answer to this question in the ArcGIS Online forums.

From what I understand and a quick search, it appears it is not currently possible to display the attachments (photos) of related tables on a popup window of a feature in a webmap. Only the photos attached to the parent layer will be displayed.

There may be some custom configuration or webapp builder applications that can get this working the way you want, but I am unaware of any off the top of my head.

Regards,

Phil.

MelindaLamb
New Contributor III

Thanks Phil

Survey123 has some great analytics and review features on the survey123 site, but what makes is really powerful is its connection to the entire AGOL environment.  Having the photos buried in the related table makes it tough to get at them without several steps.  It seems like a benefit to users to figure out how to get urls more available so they can be added to media. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a round about way to see the photos for items that are part of the child database within a relational database schema within ArcGIS Online. It is not exactly within the pop-up window, but it would allow user to see there photos.

For instance, we do a lot of endangered Bat surveys and one of the database schema that I utilize within the AGO environment is a point that marks that location of the survey and then a related table that contains the vital information for the bats that are captured during the survey. This is a table that is part of a Global ID relationship to the point feature class.

When you click on the point location; within the pop-up window you have the ability to "Show Related Records" and that can be found at the bottom of the pop-up window.

After clicking on this link you have the option to choose which related item you would want to see. Meaning, if you have 3, 4, 5, or how ever many related records, then you will have the option to view them within the table viewer (it appears at the bottom of the screen). Then the user would have to click on the correct record, scroll all the way to the right and then click on hyperlink "show" within the "Photos and Files" data fields to view the photos.

It's not exactly the pop-up window scenario that you are looking for, but it would help for the time being.

One other option would be to generate an "Operations Dashboard" that would display each of the photos within your related table. I had taken that route also, because you can setup a map view and then a "Widget" that would allow you to display the photos that are part of a related feature.

Hope this helps in some way.

Mike

MelindaLamb
New Contributor III

Thanks Mike.  I'm going to test out the operations dashboard suggestion.  The table view just has too many clicks for how I'm hoping my reviewer can look at the data. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Melinda,

It looks as though someone has created a way to accomplish this, but I have not tested this method.IT looks like this will time out though just from a brief skimming of the article.

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-7445-show-attachments-in-web-map-popup 

I really like the way the old Operations Dashboard would work as we have a lot of photos collected within our surveys and OD worked well for displaying them. You might want to keep in mind the load times and the end users PC's abilities. Make sure you test the viewing outside of your company if field crews are going to be utilizing it.

0 Kudos