How Do I Retain Historic Data that is Gathered in the Field?

09-15-2021 04:12 PM
fkhan_sanjacintoca
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am creating a manhole inspection report built out of survey123 which will be used to collect information on manholes within the city. All of our data will be hosted on AGOL at the moment. These points will be put on a web map which will then be made into a web mapping application. The field users will either be using Survey123 or Field Maps to collect this data. There is a date and time field.

If in the future, one of the field agents updates a point feature, how will the data be archived? Will it create a point on top or will all the previous data be lost (this is my assumption)? Is there a way to provide historic data for each point no matter how many updates they receive?

I heard of enabling archiving and relative tables mentioned when discussing ArcGIS/PRO for desktop but I don't know if those apply to this online environment.

Would love any help I can get, thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The best way IMO is one inspection is one form.  Then you have a running history right there.  Always editing the main point is not how I would do it - too dangerous.  We do it where the main point is not even editable and all inspections are related records.  We see things like people logging info for location 35 but they were standing at location 36 actually.  

You can use Arcade to show like last inspection date and all of that.  In cases that does not work I run a script at night to update the main point if needed (after we QA the inspection of course).  Can see all inspections with history via relate.

Hope that helps

fkhan_sanjacintoca
New Contributor II

How do I set it up so that all new inspections on the same point are related records? Is it just adding a new record (feature point) with the same ID for that asset?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do is pass the ID from Field Maps to 123.  So they use Field Maps to get there then launch a form and pass the id.  This works great since Field Maps is so much better at getting people there. The service has the two layers related so it all comes together.

My main post on this is here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

But there are also several of these inspection posts also.  Some post like this one detail all the things you can do with Arcade  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-collector-questions/dynamic-symbology-based-on-days-passed/td-p...

There are other posts talking about this workflow but I can't find them just do a search.

Looks like this.  I have 9 diff forms that are related so a bit more complicated but same concept.  

In Field Maps

Launch From Collctor tablet.gif

 In the web map

ShowRelatedLPI.gif

 Hope that helps.  Mock it up and see.

fkhan_sanjacintoca
New Contributor II

How do I set it up so that all new inspections on the same point are related records? Is it just adding a new record (feature point) with the same ID for that asset?

0 Kudos