How do I restrict edits to 1 org user in a hosted feature layer?

04-24-2018 01:17 PM
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

I have many field personnel using Survey123 to create and update features in a non-public editable hosted feature layer.  The issue is that I only want 1 specific user to be able to edit the sensitive data outside of Survey123 (the manager of the business unit performing the Surveys).  That person is not an Admin, nor the Group owner.  The Group in which the layer resides has 40+ members who could be doing Surveys. 

Is this possible?  Or by virtue of being part of that Group with a User role, any of those 40+ members can open up the  layer and start changing the data?  If I take away the edit privileges then they can't submit Surveys.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shana

One option is to create an inbox query that only returns records if you are signed in as the editor.

To do this:

1) Add a hidden question called editor_name (or something like that) to your survey with a default value of the editor's organisational username. This username will be written to all newly collected features.

2) Update the Inbox query where expression to be  editor_name=${username}.

3) Publish the survey and get all users to download and update.

This will result in a query that will return no records to the inbox unless you are logged into the device with the username that was populated in the editor_name field.

See the following for more info on the inbox.

Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

I hope this helps

Thanks

John

ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johnathan,

We've been using the Inbox query, but this question is a little different.  I don't want members of the Group in AGOL to open the Hosted Feature Layer directly.  In other words, click View item details on the Feature Layer, then click on the Data tab to start editing the tables.  From what I could gather so far reading the Esri documentation is that someone with a User role can make edits to the Hosted Feature Layer in this manner.  They would just need to be a member of a Group that has an editable layer.  I created a custom role that didn't grant Edit privileges for Features, but then the person couldn't submit Surveys at all.

Thanks,

Shana

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shana

If the user has editor permissions and is a member of the group that the survey/service is shared with, the user will be able to make edits. This is how the permission model works and there is no way around this unfortunately.

Thanks

John

ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John.  I can now report back to them that I tried... but no dice.  😕

0 Kudos