How do I fill three different fields based on the inputs of one of the three fields?

10-09-2019 01:07 PM
RyanWaller
New Contributor III

I think this is causing some sort of a circular error. The spreadsheet is attached. Essentially the basic gist of what I am trying to accomplish is have a single form that can identify what team of people (FxSP or NGO or OGA) is filling out the form and have it identify their corresponding counterparts automatically. So far I have the first two fields the FxSP and NGO fields partially working but it stops there. When I tried to do the same formula in the fxsp it errors out with the error below:

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan,

The error you are seeing is expected as you have created a cyclic dependency with 2 of your calculations. If you look at the 2 calculations you are using in ${fxsp} and ${oga} fields, the first calculation in ${fxsp} is relying on values from ${oga} to be calculated to get an answer in the if() statement. However the calculation in ${oga} is relying on values from ${fxsp} to be calculated to get an answer in the if() statement. This is a cyclic dependency.

You can't try and calculate something that is based on something else that is calculated from the thing you are trying to calculate.

It is possible to fill three different fields based on the inputs of another field provided you do not create a cyclic dependency. You may need to reconsider how you want to set up your questions and the calculations to avoid this.

Phil.

0 Kudos
RyanWaller
New Contributor III

Phil,

To your statement "It is possible to fill three different fields based on the inputs of another field provided you do not create a cyclic dependency. You may need to reconsider how you want to set up your questions and the calculations to avoid this."

Can you expand on this a little further? Maybe a quick how-to?

-Ryan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan,

Basically you can't have questions set up in a way with calculations where field 3 relies on field 2 which relies on field 1 which relies on field 3. The would also not work in Excel using standard formulas or SQL or any programming language.

You need to consider how you can change the way you have set up your questions, not to have calculations relying on each other in a cyclical way. This means you may need the user to enter more data or use a select one with relevant statements to control when certain questions appear or when they are calculated.

Phil.