How do I attach a custom basemap to a survey in Survey123?

11-13-2018 11:38 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was able to side load a basemap onto an android device, but I have 70 users in my organization and I can't do that for everyone's device.  I would like the basemap to just show up for every user if they downloaded the survey or if they are using it on the website.  Thank you!  survey123 customization, #survey123‌

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anna,

The easiest way to accomplish this is to place the .tpk in the media file at time of publishing your survey from Survey123 Connect.  You can view more on this this method, and others in the following help doc...

Prepare basemaps for offline use—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Best,

Brandon

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your help.  I have tried what you suggest and then republishing the survey.  Is it not working because I am republishing the survey?  Do I need to start from the beginning and get my .tpk in the media file the first time it is published? 

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

It should work upon placing the .tpk in the media folder and republishing.  Some things to consider are ensuring that you re-download the survey once it has been republished, and making sure that the projection of the .tpk is Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere.

One way to ensure that your .tpk is ready for use with Survey123 is to use the esri labs desktop utility named Tile Package Kreator.  You can download and use this utility here Tile Package Kreator.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What exactly is the media folder?  Is it my survey folder in my AGOL content or is it on my C drive with the other files I created through Survey 123 Connect? 

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

You can find the media folder for a particular survey by navigating to C:\Users\<username>\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs\<surveyname>\media

The easiest way to get to the media folder is to open the survey in Survey123 Connect and click on the folder icon.  Once doing so, it will open the directory for your survey which contains the media folder.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I click on that folder I can get to C:\User\<username>\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs\ and then this is all I see.

Inside that folder there is no media folder, but there are the files from my survey.  You can see the tpk files I put in there while trying to troubleshoot this issue. 

Should I make my own media file and put it there?  Why wasn't one created when I made the survey?  Why doesn't my survey folder have the name of my survey instead of those random letters and numbers? 

Thank you again for your help, Anna

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Based on the naming structure of your survey, I am assuming that you originally created it using the web designer via the Survey123 website, or downloaded it to a computer that was not originating place of creation.  Both of these will generate a folder which uses a unique alphanumeric value.  Although you can change this, it shouldn't be necessary.

As for the media folder, yes, you can create one, place your .tpk in there, and republish.

Let me know how this goes.

Best,

Brandon

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't know what happened the first time, but I copied my survey and republished it with a new name.  Then the media folder showed up, I copied my tpk files to the folder and all is working well at this point.