How come Select_multiple writes the name of a choice to the field and not the label?

08-03-2016 07:59 AM
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there,

I swear I've seen this question asked and answered before but I can't find the post on GeoNet or GitHub.

I have a survey with several select_multiple type questions - When a survey is submitted in the Survey123 app, the resulting field has the name of the choice entered and not the label.

For example, this is the way the field appears at the moment:

(how the entries appear in the choices sheet under name)

And I assume it should appear like this:

(how the entries appear in the choices sheet under label)

Any thoughts?

Carmel

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Carmel,

For select_one and select_multiple question types, the value(s) stored will always be the name value of the option.  The label value is what is displayed in the collection application; Survey123 actually supports multiple labels for a value (multi-lingual support), so that can actually change from user to user on the same form when that form is designed for multiple languages.

james

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Ah okay, I suppose the makes sense - we are working with list that are based on measurements (10", 13 5/8" and 9 3/8") and originally I had the name as 10, 13_5_8 and 9_3_8 but I've updated it to 10_inches, 13_5/8_inches and 9_3/8_inches so at least the name list makes more sense now and it'd be easier to clean up post collection.

Thanks James!

Carmel

0 Kudos