How can the Public use a public shared survey in the field?

Jump to solution
11-06-2017 05:43 AM
TeresaClark
New Contributor II

The app does not allow sign-in with FB/Google/ or with Public account, the option is there but after sign-in access is denied.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Teresa, 

Okay that makes sense!

Accessing the Survey123 app using your workflow is a method named users use to access surveys specifically shared with them, but as you note, this isn't possible with your users. 

For your users, you must supply them with the survey in a different manner. Can you please try this:

1. Log into http://survey123.arcgis.com/  > My Surveys > Open the survey in question
  2. Navigate to the Collaborate tab and make sure the survey is shared with Everyone
  3. At the bottom, ensure either 'Ask the user how to open the survey, in browser or in the Survey123 field app' or 'Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly.' is selected
  4. Take a copy of the survey link and email it to yourself on your device or type it into a browser
  5. Open the link on the device and the Survey123 app will be launched (either immediated or when selected in the browser) and the survey downloaded, ready to be completed by your users.

If this doesn't work for you, let us know. How were you planning on letting the general public know about the survey? Is using the app prefered over completing the survey in a browser?

Carmel

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Teresa,

We do support login via FB/Google when the person login in is a named user with data editing capabilities on ArcGIS Online. Login to Survey123 will not work with Public Accounts, whether via social media login or an ArcGIS Online user name.

0 Kudos
TeresaClark
New Contributor II

Therefore, if I create a public survey and I send the link to someone who does NOT have an ArcGIS online account they cannot complete the survey.  This is contrary to what the documentation is leading me to believe was available with this platform.  Am I missing something?

The documentation states for Survey123: 

• Everyone (Public)—Allows anonymous users to submit to the survey.

The link at the bottom of the Collaborate tab can be shared so others can launch your survey. The link can be configured to open the survey in a browser, open the survey in the field app, or allow the user to choose where it is opened.

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Teresa,

A public survey can be filled in by anyone; login is not required.  This generally means that the results will be anonymous, as most people will not be able to log in to provide their identity.

0 Kudos
TeresaClark
New Contributor II

My point continues to be that the Survey123 Field App requires a login with a named user ArcGIS Online ID.  This negates the ability to have someone perform the survey anonymously who does not have an AGOL account (i.e., citizen science) with the field app.  I keep thinking there must be something I am missing.  

CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Teresa, 

Can you send us some screenshots of what your end users are seeing?

Can you check that both the survey form and feature service are shared with Everyone?

What method are you using to tell users about the survey/how do they access it?

Carmel

0 Kudos
TeresaClark
New Contributor II

The images below are what "I" get when I try to use the Survey123 field app without my Named Institutional AGOL account.  If I can't access the app then the general public cannot.  We can't even get to the area where the survey is located.  Is there a process that I am missing?

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Teresa, 

Okay that makes sense!

Accessing the Survey123 app using your workflow is a method named users use to access surveys specifically shared with them, but as you note, this isn't possible with your users. 

For your users, you must supply them with the survey in a different manner. Can you please try this:

1. Log into http://survey123.arcgis.com/  > My Surveys > Open the survey in question
  2. Navigate to the Collaborate tab and make sure the survey is shared with Everyone
  3. At the bottom, ensure either 'Ask the user how to open the survey, in browser or in the Survey123 field app' or 'Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly.' is selected
  4. Take a copy of the survey link and email it to yourself on your device or type it into a browser
  5. Open the link on the device and the Survey123 app will be launched (either immediated or when selected in the browser) and the survey downloaded, ready to be completed by your users.

If this doesn't work for you, let us know. How were you planning on letting the general public know about the survey? Is using the app prefered over completing the survey in a browser?

Carmel

TeresaClark
New Contributor II

Thank you.  Working with my Institutional Administrator we have determined that we can do this!  I appreciate your help.  The Survey123 documentation is not really that good so I am glad that there are forums to answer these questions.

BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Happy to have found this discussion. I think similar to Teresa, I was confused about how Survey123 documentation suggests publicly available forms are supported, and yet, you can't login to the survey123 app without an organizational account. The link option described above does work, which is nice, but not straightforward. 

The primary reason we would prefer the app over a browser is that our users are collecting information in offline environments. 

Why not allow public AGOL accounts to login to the survey 123 app? Would be nice to be able to know who submitted the data without requiring a text field to be filled out each time a record is created. Would also be nice if a user could use the "download surveys" approach rather than have to use a link sent to them in an email. 

b