How can I sign out and have the Survey123 App on Android Forget Me?

Jump to solution
08-30-2018 04:40 PM
RogerFarmer1
Occasional Contributor

When I sign out of the Survey123 App using Windows Account from Enterprise 10.6.1 I am not forgotten.

When I want to sign in again using Windows Account it seems to have cached my credentials somehow and immediately signs in. This makes it impossible to test anything from a field user's perspective.

(v3.0.149; I believe it updated yesterday)

0 Kudos
24 Replies
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

Phil,

We are having this issue with our field staff. They transfer iPads back and forth as they come on and go off shift. When the person coming on shift attempts to login to Survey123, the app automatically uses the credentials of the previous user. We have tried closing the app, shutting down and restarting the ipad and nothing works.

we are using iPad minis, survey123 mobile app 3.7, portal login is SAML with Azure AD.

How can we get the app to forget the previous users credentials?

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gary,

Yes, in the next release we have improved IWA login on non-windows devices. Please test out the 3.9 RC builds available on EAC. When sign out is selected from main menu, the user will be properly signed out, regardless of platform or device, and there i no need to restart the device to be able to sign in as a different user. There is also now the ability to use the "Remember Me" option on the sign in page and when switched off, the previous users credentials will not be remembered and then next user will need to sign in again by entering the username and password, which was previously not working as expected.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Do we know whether this behaviour is resolved for clients using enterprise active directory logins?

0 Kudos
GISAnalyst7
New Contributor II

Hi,

I believe this change may have reverted back with the last update on October 15th. Users who previously had no issues are now experiencing this. User credentials are now caching and the next user can not login until an app reinstall. Just a restart of the app doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Dimity

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dimity,

Can you please provide more specific details so we can look into the issue further. As you can imagine, there are many different authentication types, workflows, devices and other factors that have an impact of user sign in and sign out.

Please confirm if you are using AGO or Portal, if Portal, what version and setup and what type of authentication (Local, IWA, SAML, SSO, PKI etc)?

Can you confirm what device type, model, OS version you are seeing issues?

And lastly, please describe the step by step workflow where the user signs out and another user cannot sign back in? Does it happen in same app session, after restart, when online/offline changes etc.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GISAnalyst7
New Contributor II

Hi Philip, 

Thanks for the reply.

We are using AGOL with SAML authentication. We are using Survey123 v3.11.164 on android devices - mainly Samsung Tab S4, but some users are using Samsung phones. 

The S123 app is on the device, they login using AGOL login, and type in our Organization's URL, they then log into our organization and pick their Microsoft account to login. If there are any questions to save credentials they click no. to sign out, they use the 'sign out' link in the S123 app and confirm sign out. When the next user comes along to sign in they follow the same process, but there is no option to pick their own microsoft account and it signs them in auomatically as the previous owner. 

We thought initially that the Microsoft account may be logged in and active elsewhere on the device, but we have checked and it is not. Everywhere they could potentially log in asks for a login to be entered, nothing else is automatically logging in.

Thanks,

Dimity

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Dimity, 

Thank you for reaching out with this information! If we may ask who is the Identity Provider for your SAML configuration? 

I know you had said that your colleagues are logging into your organization and then selecting their Microsoft account to login, who is the provider that they are logging into the Organization with?

Please feel free to email me directly at ZSutherby@esri.com if you would like. 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
GISAnalyst7
New Contributor II

Hi Zach, 

We are using AzureAD.

Thanks,
Dimity

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dimity,

Thanks for the additional information. Further to Zach's reply, I do not believe this issue is new to 3.11, can you confirm it worked as expected in 3. 10 or earlier on the same devices with same workflow?

The reason I believe this is an existing issue is that we have a known issue with AGO and SAML authentication where the user credentials are cached and not cleared on sign out. This has been previously reported as BUG-000119569.

I would suggest you also log this with Esri Support and have it attached to the existing bug number above.

Regards,

Phil.

GISAnalyst7
New Contributor II

Thanks Philip, I will raise it with esri support and troubleshoot further. 

Strangely enough, with my testing today I have not been able to replicate our previous workflow. I have found a few devices with a few different versions to test with and all of them are not letting me login as another user after logging out. I have tested in 3.5.177, 3.9.149 and 3.11.164. I have a workaround for version 3.11 though, where a user then goes to office.com and logs out of their office account there too.  

However, we do know that users were able to originally log out as users are now complaining about it, which they never had before. 

Thanks,
Dimity