How can I copy records into a currently published Survey?

04-13-2016 06:24 AM
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to copy some existing survey records from a separate local geodatabase to a currently published survey on AGOL.  The schema is the same for both.  I've been trying to do this by opening the currently published survey on ArcGIS desktop (using the item.pitem in desktop) with 'Create Local Copy For Editing' and then 'Synchronize Local Edits With Server.'  I can copy and paste records in successfully, but when I synchronize local edits with the server, the records don't 'take.'  I'm not encountering an error message, the records just don't populate in AGOL.  Is there another way I should approach this?  Ideally, we want our client to be able to collect records primarily with Survey123 and be able to view and edit these records through ArcGIS Collector.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
14 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure that the copy and paste functionality works in ArcGIS Pro, although I could be wrong! Instead, I'd convert the XY event layer into a feature class in a geodatabase, select the records I want to copy, and then use the Append tool to add these points to the Survey123 feature service (Input is the converted XY event layer and target is the Survey123 feature service)

Carmel

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

I'm running into the following error when I try append:

ERROR 001156: Failed on input OID 1, could not write value 'NOT DETERMINED' to output field Maintenance

Failed to execute (Append).

Do the entries that correspond to select_one and select_multiple fields have to be the choice 'name' or the 'choice' label to be able to append?

The value from the XY table based on the existing data is 'NOT DETERMINED' and my guess is it can't append to the service because the choices/domains in its service schema are slightly different.  When building the XLS, I used 'NotDetermined' for 'name' because spaces need to be removed and 'NOT DETERMINED' for 'choice.'  I haven't looked to see what the domain is in the schema of the service, whether gets established as one or the other...

Seems like I may need to clean up my client's existing data more to get everything to fit together, but maybe there's still some mistake that isn't obvious to me?

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

Hi Carmel,

do you think the problem I'm having with the Append tool is related to choice 'names' and choice 'labels' in the Survey?  It appears these are treated like domains if I download an FGDB of the published survey, but I am able to paste records into the local FGDB without any problem.  What are some other things I could try to find a solution to this?

Thanks,

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III

Just to confirm for you Tom,

When you create a choices list in Survey123, it is converted into a coded value domain in the resulting feature service when you publish your survey.

This is to make it easier for non-Survey123 users to edit the feature service.

Hannah

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

Thank you, Hannah.  I'm not sure what is preventing me from appending records to the Survey123 feature service.  Here are the things I've tried:

• Appending records from a local FGDB feature class (generated from XY event layer) directly to the Survey123 feature service on AGOL using ArcGIS Pro 1.0.
    • Result is ERROR 001156, Append fails

• Appending records from a local FGDB feature class (whose schema matches the Survey123 feature service because it was first downloaded from the published Survey123 service and saved locally).
    • Records were first copied from the above-mentioned XY event layer into the local FGDB.  Edits copied locally could be saved.
    • Then when copying from the local FGDB to the Survey123 feature service, the result is Warning 000594, general function failure on all records.

• Copying features from local FGDB feature class (generated from XY event layer) within ArcMap 10.3.
    • Edit Features-->Create Local Copy For Editing-->Records copied from local FGDB to this new local copy of service (records appear to have copied)-->Synchronize Local Edits with Server-->No error message, but edits do not successfully 'take' after the sync.

Do you have suggestions for other things I might try to resolve this?  My goal is to incorporate existing records into a client's new Survey123 service.  I'd be happy to share the table of records and my XLS form with you if it would be helpful.

Thank you,

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos