How can I copy records into a currently published Survey?

04-13-2016 06:24 AM
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to copy some existing survey records from a separate local geodatabase to a currently published survey on AGOL.  The schema is the same for both.  I've been trying to do this by opening the currently published survey on ArcGIS desktop (using the item.pitem in desktop) with 'Create Local Copy For Editing' and then 'Synchronize Local Edits With Server.'  I can copy and paste records in successfully, but when I synchronize local edits with the server, the records don't 'take.'  I'm not encountering an error message, the records just don't populate in AGOL.  Is there another way I should approach this?  Ideally, we want our client to be able to collect records primarily with Survey123 and be able to view and edit these records through ArcGIS Collector.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
14 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Have you tried in ArcGIS Pro? You're able to edit ArcGIS Online feature services directly there without having to take them offline.

Carmel

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

Hi Carmel,

I have not tried that yet--we haven't yet tested or implemented ArcGIS Pro in our department and I'm not confident we will be doing this until a while later.  Is it possible to have ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS 10 on the same machine?  What are my other options?

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom,

Yep, you can have ArcGIS Pro and any version of ArcGIS for Desktop on your machine, they run independently of each other.

Have you been able to try your workflow with a regular ArcGIS Online feature service? The Survey123 feature services I've looked appear to function slightly differently.

Carmel

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

I haven't tested the workflow with a regular feature service, but may try this.  I understand how a schema published with Survey123 could react differently to server/sync.

We may also move forward with an install of Pro on one of our machines.  We have 2 Editor licenses and a handful of Basic.  Will an install of Pro permanently hold one of these?

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas,

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your testing!

ArcGIS Pro is licensed through ArcGIS Online based on the number of Desktop licenses you have - for example for your 2 Editor licenses, you will have at least 2 ArcGIS Online named users, and in there you can assign an ArcGIS Pro license to one of these users. More information can be found here: Manage ArcGIS Pro licenses—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop . Assigning licenses in this way means that ArcGIS Pro does not permanently hold any of the licenses.

Carmel

ThomasHamill

Thanks for your help.  I have Pro on my machine now.  How can I add the feature service for the data from ArcGIS Online to my ArcGIS Pro project?  I haven't been able to find this walk-through and the link is broken if I import to the project from my previous MXD.  I see that I can't add the item.pitem through the add data menu.  The data I'd like to move records into is still in My Content on AGOL. 

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

I tested the edit and sync with a published service that wasn't through Survey123, shared as service through desktop instead, though it had the same schema as what gets established by Survey123 !.  A message saying 'Validating Replica Schema...' appears for a few seconds before ArcMap crashes and prompts me to send an error report.  I sent the error report with my email address if that makes a difference.

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom,

To add data from your ArcGIS Online account, click Add Data then under Portal choose My Content:

Capture.PNG

If you're signed into your ArcGIS Online account, you'll be able to see your data.

I've been able to add my Survey123 feature service, append more data to it and it's been updated grand in Online!

Carmel

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

This is helpful, thanks!  What is the ArcGIS Pro equivalent of being in an edit session and copying features from an XY event layer into the Survey123 feature service?  I can select the records I want to add to the Survey123 layer, but when I copy and paste, it just reproduces the XY event layer in the table of contents as opposed to prompting me to select the target layer for pasting features like in ArcGIS 10.

Thanks,

Tom

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos