Hide an exitsting form from available downloads, but allow uploads from existing users?

Jump to solution
10-10-2017 08:53 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

I feel like in the past I was able to prevent a from from being available for downloading, while allowing those that have already download the form to continue to upload their data. I forget how I did this and was not able to find a solution.  Was I just dreaming that I did this or is their a way to prevent new users from downloading a form, while keeping it open for uploads from existing users?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brent,

You were not dreaming, it is possible via ArcGIS Online sharing. However we recommend making all your sharing and permission changes via the Survey123 website (https://survey123.arcgis.com/) to avoid any unforeseen issues with using the Survey123 website, field app or connect.

That being said, if you change only the sharing permissions of the Form item in ArcGIS Online to be not shared, users will no longer be able to see the survey in the Download Surveys search. Only yourself and administrators of your org will be able to see the survey for download.

Once a survey is downloaded to the device, it only needs permissions to be able to submit data back to the feature service, so provided the sharing permissions are not changed on the feature service and the user still has permission, they will still be able to submit data to the feature service, even though they can not see the survey in Download Surveys.

Please keep in mind that your survey form item and feature service will then have different sharing permissions and you will need to manually manage these moving forward, it may create unforeseen issues using the Survey123 website when changing permissions and editing workflows in future.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brent,

You were not dreaming, it is possible via ArcGIS Online sharing. However we recommend making all your sharing and permission changes via the Survey123 website (https://survey123.arcgis.com/) to avoid any unforeseen issues with using the Survey123 website, field app or connect.

That being said, if you change only the sharing permissions of the Form item in ArcGIS Online to be not shared, users will no longer be able to see the survey in the Download Surveys search. Only yourself and administrators of your org will be able to see the survey for download.

Once a survey is downloaded to the device, it only needs permissions to be able to submit data back to the feature service, so provided the sharing permissions are not changed on the feature service and the user still has permission, they will still be able to submit data to the feature service, even though they can not see the survey in Download Surveys.

Please keep in mind that your survey form item and feature service will then have different sharing permissions and you will need to manually manage these moving forward, it may create unforeseen issues using the Survey123 website when changing permissions and editing workflows in future.

Regards,

Phil.

AdilsonFurlani
New Contributor III

Hi Philip.

Well, I was using this functionality until last Friday, but now not work more. Had some change in Survey123 environment?

My form (hided form) get some data from a feature host generated by other Surver123 form to change some informations, but when we try to refresh the inbox, the message "Getting service information" don't leave the screen locking the Survey123 app. Do you have any idea of what is wrong?

Regards,

Furlani, Adilson.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adilson,

Just checking if you still have this issue? Can you expand on how you created the second form that points to the feature service that was created by the first form? Are you using Connect to publish surveys, or the web, and are you using AGOL or Portal?

Are the permissions set on the survey form and feature service the same, do same set of users have access, if so what are the settings?

Phil.

0 Kudos
AdilsonFurlani
New Contributor III

Hi Phil. Good morning.

Yes. This problem still happens. I have two surveys that access a same feature hosted service. The first survey (that generated the feature) is accessed by a group of users and, the second survey (that was created using this feature service already hosted) is accessed by another user group to update some fields. The Idea is: The first group create the survey, fill some fields and submit to AGOL(some fields is hidden for this group). After this, the second group get the survey already filled by the first group to complete other fields (using INBOX option to get the surveys filled by the first group). The first Survey form don’t have the INBOX option enabled, but this option is enabled in the second form.

The case is: (I already tested) When we submit a new form to AGOL, two objects are generated: A Form and a feature hosted service. In this case (after download the form to a device), is possible to hide the form removing the access permission only on the form and the form downloaded work fine in the device. In case where we generate a form using an existent feature (hosted), after submit this form only one object (a Form) is generated on AGOL (because the feature hosted service is already generated by another form). Well, this is clear for me. However, when I try to do the same (download the form to the device and, then, hide the form removing the access permission), this form run an infinite loop when we try to get data using the Inbox option (it's work fine on the first form). My conclusion is: Forms that was generated using an existent feature (hosted) cannot be hidden. Only forms that generate the feature service can be hidden as was suggested.

Any suggestion?

Best regards,

Adilson Furlani

Research

Louis Dreyfus Company Brasil S. A.

São Paulo / Brazil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adilson,

How are you modifying the sharing permissions, via Survey123 website or AGOL? Have you changed the permissions on the Feature Service also, if so can you let me know the settings you applied?

If you open the Rest end point for the feature service in AGOL, and then open the link to JSON (top of page), scroll to the bottom of the JSON you will see "capabilities" parameter, can you copy and paste in the reply. The default permissions for a feature service are as follows:

"capabilities" : "Create,Delete,Query,Update,Editing,Extract"

The problem you have may be to do with permissions on feature service that are required for Inbox to work, not for the permissions on the survey. If the query or update tag are not there on the feature service due to changes you made to permissions, this may cause the Inbox and editing not to work as intended.

Phil.

0 Kudos
AdilsonFurlani
New Contributor III

Hi Phil. Good morning.

The capabilities of this service, found in JSON, is:

"capabilities" : "Create,Delete,Query,Update,Editing,Extract,Sync",

One thing to note: If I restore the form's shared permission, it works well with the Inbox, but when I hide the form (removing the share permission after download to the device) it "freezes" when I try to update the Inbox. The same does not occur with the form that created the hosted feature service, but only with the form that was generated from an existing hosted feature service.

Regards,

Adilson Furlani

Research

Louis Dreyfus Company Brasil S. A.

São Paulo / Brazil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adilson,

Thanks for the capabilities on the Feature Service, all looks ok there. After looking into this issue some more it is apparent that the behaviour you are experiencing is expected. The Survey123 app requires that the Survey (Form item) is shared and that the user logged into the app on the device has permission to  access the Survey. When querying the Inbox or submitting a new survey record, the app queries the Survey (Form item) to check that the URL to the existing feature service that it was created from is still valid. This is why your survey is freezing as it doesn't have permission anymore.

The reason the original survey is working ok when you unshare the Form item is that it doesn't contain a submission URL, as it was created in Connect and the Feature Service is directly related to this Survey as they are in the same folder in AGOL. Therefore the check for submission URL is not required in the same way and the app continues to work provided the user has permission to the Feature Service.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Philip, Exactly what I needed.