help with grid theme - I want to apply to certain questions (and also have numbers)

Jump to solution
09-30-2019 12:56 AM
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

hi all,

I have seen a lot of talk about the grid theme, but would love for someone to send the example of the excel form that creates questions like this with a mix of normal and grid: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17089-alignment-tools-for-entered-values-enhances-grid-theme-aesthe... 

I have a series of groups, and I want the first group to be normal full width, and the first question in each group to span the entire width (and also have the year appearance), followed by questions in 2 columns. 

I have been playing around with W1 and W2 but it seems to put all my questions into grid theme, and not just some of them. 

Attached is a sketch of what I want, and also what I get when I put w2 in the appearance of the first question I want to have in grid form..

Can someone help me with where to put the column widths in my XLS, and also can I have a column with AND specify that I want the number appearance (which shows the number keyboard)? a lot to ask, sorry!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aurelie,

The 'wX' appearances are used for 2 related purposes:

- on a group: set the total number of columns inside the group (default number of columns is 4)

- on a question: set the width of a question (default is 1)

In your drawing, you have at most 2 questions that appear to be of equal width.  Therefore, you need your group to have 2 columns inside it; you would give it the appearance w2 .

The first question (the year) takes up the full width of the group; therefore it also needs to be 2 columns wide.  That, along with the fact it's only taking year input, give an appearance of w2 year (order doesn't matter).

The other questions do not need a wX appearance as they are taking up 1 column width.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aurelie,

The 'wX' appearances are used for 2 related purposes:

- on a group: set the total number of columns inside the group (default number of columns is 4)

- on a question: set the width of a question (default is 1)

In your drawing, you have at most 2 questions that appear to be of equal width.  Therefore, you need your group to have 2 columns inside it; you would give it the appearance w2 .

The first question (the year) takes up the full width of the group; therefore it also needs to be 2 columns wide.  That, along with the fact it's only taking year input, give an appearance of w2 year (order doesn't matter).

The other questions do not need a wX appearance as they are taking up 1 column width.

AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

ah thank you! It was not clear from the appearance help page - the grid theme is great!!

0 Kudos