Having groups of questions as Compact, and present the survey in multiple pages

Jump to solution
08-31-2017 08:34 AM
YeonKim
New Contributor III

We are working on a series of Stormwater BMP inspection forms. While working on a pilot survey, I learned very quickly that the form has quite a number of questions and the survey quite long.

To make the form somewhat manageable, I implemented many Groups with Compact appearances. It occurred to me today that it would be even nicer if I can break the form to multiple pages.

The red lines show where I want to insert page breaks so that they are presented in 3 pages, not in 1 page.

However, it seems the survey 123 does not really have a concept of Page. Page would be a higher organization unit, in my mind. Instead, it seems Page is implemented as one of the appearances of Groups. For the survey above, it would create 14 pages, and the questions for  each group are already expanded (i.e. you can not have compact groups in multiple pages).

I am wondering if anyone successfully set up a survey with multiple pages, each page presented with multiple compact groups. It is also possible I don't quite understand how to properly set up multi-pages. Looking forward to your suggestions and enlightenment.

Thanks.

Yeon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Yeon,

Yes, you are correct- when implementing pages it becomes semi-required to have all questions assigned to a page.  A group at the root level without field-list will appear on every page; this may be useful if providing instructions or a summary question/note

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeon,

For your example above, I believe that what you would need to do is the following (please note this is through Survey123 Connect) -

1. On the "Settings" tab, if there is not a column named "style", then you will need to add one. within this cell you will need to place the word "pages".
  2. On the Survey tab, you will need to find each of the groups that you want to start a new page with and within the appearance column choose "field-list".

Refresh your survey and I think that will do it.

0 Kudos
YeonKim
New Contributor III

Mike,

Thank you for your reply!

I have tried what you described. I set the style under Setting, and made appearance of 'Grit Chamber' and  'Illicit Discharge Evidence'  field-list, and the survey form becomes like this:

Page 1

Page 1

Page 2

Page 2

This is why I drew the conclusion that every group's appearance would need to set as field-list if we are to have a functioning form.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks!

Yeon

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Yeon,

Yes, you are correct- when implementing pages it becomes semi-required to have all questions assigned to a page.  A group at the root level without field-list will appear on every page; this may be useful if providing instructions or a summary question/note

0 Kudos
YeonKim
New Contributor III

Thanks James. I guess we do not have nesting groups (groups inside a group)? If we had nesting groups, I could assign the appearance of  parent groups (groups at the root)  as 'field-list' to enable multi-page, and keep the appearance of children groups as compact. However, it will be quite tricky to keep track of all the groups beginnings and endings if we do allow nesting...

I will go ahead and leave a comment in this idea page.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12961-survey123-grid-theme-and-multiple-page-forms

0 Kudos