Hanging when trying to publish update to Survey123 form

Jump to solution
04-20-2018 11:07 AM
TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

I made two quick updates to one of my Survey123 forms (I've made many updates to it and had no problems prior to this) about a week ago and since then I've been unable to publish the updated version. When I click on the Publish button in Connect, it successfully goes through Checking Feature Service and then brings up a dialog box letting me know the survey has already been published and that it sees I'm trying to add a field not already present. I click on the button to "Add the following fields when publishing" and then click on "Publish Survey". At that point it just hangs and nothing happens.

I found a post where someone had a similar issue and you said to go to the Survey123 Connect settings and turn on logging. I did so and am attaching the log file. That post also asked the user if the form item was removed or changed location. I did notice at some point that my FS and form item were not in the Survey123 folder and moved it back there. I'm pretty sure I've successfully published updates since then. On the off chance I was mis-remembering, I put them back and tested it again but it still hung.

Any thoughts?

Tara Boswell

34 Replies
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Orçun Akkay

As Ann Fritz also mentioned in the comment above, you don't have to create a new copy every time. To workaround this issue, aside from the changes you made to your related table (inside the repeat), add a new question outside the repeat which enables you to publish successfully. Then you can remove that question from the survey and republish.

Notice that this only removes the question from your survey form and you should need to delete the added field from the hosted feature layer in AGOL.

0 Kudos
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

Hi MJ,

I've tried adding the dummy questions outside of the repeat both before and after the repeat section, but still experiencing this issue. I am using nested repeats. Do you think there would be other causes of this issue?

Manually adding fields to AGOL layer is what we are trying to avoid.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi Jing Sun‌,

I tested the workaround with a nested repeat and it worked for me. The attached video demonstrates both workarounds. The first workaround requires adding fields to the related table manually in AGOL. In the second workaround (from 2:20 in video) new fields in the related table will be created by Connect during publish but you will need to remove them manually from AGOL. 

0 Kudos
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

Hi MJ,

Thanks a lot for your help and the video instruction.

I figured out that, when adding fields to the child repeat of the nested repeat, a new field needs to be added to the parent repeat in addition to the new field added outside of the repeat.

Cheers.

StephenKaranja
New Contributor III

Thanks for letting us know about the workaround of creating the new fields in the feature service item's data tab. That worked well for me.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @OrçunAkkay @Ann123 @TaraBoswell @Jing_Sun @MJBiazar,

Just letting you know that BUG-000113652 has been fixed in the latest 3.13 beta builds available on the Early Adopter Community, so it would be great if you can test out the latest beta builds by adding a new question/field only to a repeat (related table) in your survey and publishing from Connect. The app should no longer hang and the publish process should be successful.

Regards,
Phil.

Ann123
by
New Contributor III

I haven't had a chance to return to this work for some time, but bookmarking this post for when my schedule allows me to return to this project!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks for the update! This is great news! I was able to successfully republish my survey from Connect 3.13 Beta after making a change only to the repeat section (related table)! So it seems like the issue has been resolved in this update! 

Thanks again!

MJ

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great @MJBiazar, thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos
JessicaGough
New Contributor III

Hello, we have been experiencing the same issue with Connect getting stuck or 'hanging' when republishing surveys in the last few weeks. As we are working on developing tools we need to deploy, it has meant that we need to create and publish whole new surveys, rather than continue using the existing one, which creates work for linked content etc.

Thanks for any help!

Jessica

0 Kudos