Hanging when trying to publish update to Survey123 form

Jump to solution
04-20-2018 11:07 AM
TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

I made two quick updates to one of my Survey123 forms (I've made many updates to it and had no problems prior to this) about a week ago and since then I've been unable to publish the updated version. When I click on the Publish button in Connect, it successfully goes through Checking Feature Service and then brings up a dialog box letting me know the survey has already been published and that it sees I'm trying to add a field not already present. I click on the button to "Add the following fields when publishing" and then click on "Publish Survey". At that point it just hangs and nothing happens.

I found a post where someone had a similar issue and you said to go to the Survey123 Connect settings and turn on logging. I did so and am attaching the log file. That post also asked the user if the form item was removed or changed location. I did notice at some point that my FS and form item were not in the Survey123 folder and moved it back there. I'm pretty sure I've successfully published updates since then. On the off chance I was mis-remembering, I put them back and tested it again but it still hung.

Any thoughts?

Tara Boswell

34 Replies
deleted-user-EpRzjYvkmULR
New Contributor III

This still seems to be an issue. I added 9 new fields to a repeat group, then one field outside the related table in the parent, but I am spinning at Adding fields to (Survey). The fields are getting added to the feature service, but the rest of the survey isn't getting published. Any advice would be great.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kade,

Are you using repeat count? Can you share your xlsx file?

As mentioned above, the best option is to add the fields you want to the feature layers via AGO or Pro (or ArcMap) and ensure they are set up correctly with names, fieldtype, field size etc that is supported by Survey123, and then once they are added just add them to your xslx file in the repeats and it will see those new fields and be able to republish.

Phil.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Phil. One of my users who does not have access to EAC is having this issue. I will advise her to use AGO to add the field within the repeat, and then to update her XLS form.

Based Patricia's comment below, I am not going to test with 3.5.

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @erica_poisson@ThomasPerriment1,

Just letting you know that BUG-000113652 has been fixed in the latest 3.13 beta builds available on the Early Adopter Community, so it would be great if you can test out the latest beta builds by adding a new question/field only to a repeat (related table) in your survey and publishing from Connect. The app should no longer hang and the publish process should be successful.

Regards,
Phil.

0 Kudos
PatriciaAlgura
New Contributor III

I also got the same issue on the latest builds of Survey123 v3.5. I've been trying to publish all day and thought I was only having connectivity problems. I tried adding the field outside the repeat, and it worked just fine. I checked on the schema of the feature layer and the field was already added. However, it won't still work if the field is added inside the repeat.

I tested the other option of adding the field via Pro, but I got this error. May be because I was adding the field to the table? 

Thanks,

Pat

MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi all, 

The bug that has been logged against this behavior is still under consideration. Currently, according to the documentation (Repeats—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation), this is a known limitation and it only happens if adding a question to a repeat is the only change made to the survey. 

So, when adding a question in the repeat, if you add a temporary question to the parent layer (outside of the repeat) you will be able to republish with both added question. Then you can go back and remove the temporary question and republish again. This will update your surcey, however, the field for the temporary question will remain in the hosted feature layer's attribute table.

A better workaround would be adding new fields for added questions within the repeat (with the same name ant type) to the related table under the Data tab in hosted feature service's Item details page. Then survey can be republished from Survey123 Connect. 

Best,

MJ

DidemBıçkıcı1
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Actually I've tried adding new fields for added questions within the repeat to the related table under the Data tab in hosted feature service's Item details page. But the survey still gets stuck when trying to send. 

I've created a whole new survey form, updated and republished the survey, but the problem remains.. I can't get any surveys to upload.

There are two repeat groups in the survey form, I've tried with a version that doesn't include repeats and it works fine. But when I add the repeat part according to original version of my survey, the wheel stucks on "Getting Service Information" and refers to the 2nd repeat group. 

I would be grateful if you can help. 

Regards,

Didem

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Is this the only change you are making to your survey?

0 Kudos
Ann123
by
New Contributor III

Is this bug going to be fixed anytime soon? I"m using 3.10, used Survey123 Connect to build form.   I was having similar issues with the publishing process hanging, but when I did the 'workaround' (adding dummy question outside the repeat, add the question I really wanted to add w/in the repeat, and they publish) it worked no problem.  I then went back in and deleted the dummy question, published again - successfully.  Weird.  Would be nice if this bug were fixed soon as it seems to have been around for at least 2 years... 

0 Kudos
OrçunAkkay
New Contributor III

I've confronted the same issue. I can not update my survey but when I try to create a new survey and copy-paste previous updated survey, it is working. What should I do? Should I create a new survey at each update? Can someone help me?