Handling Multiple Hydrant Parts List in a Survey

06-11-2020 08:29 AM
GeorgeHilton__GISP
New Contributor III

I'm currently working on a survey where users inspect hydrants.  One section of the survey needs to be presented as a parts list where the user will choose which parts are needed for the hydrant.  We have various models and specific parts for each model.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this given that there may be over 170 different parts over the various lists.  I don't think it's a great practice to add 170+ fields to a table and I'm not sure if multiple related tables (each table would be a parts list for a specific model) in my feature service would be the way to go.  

Any help or suggestions on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George Hilton

Town of Queensbury, NY

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why would it need to be multiple repeats?  If they can pick the model use that in a choice filter and it will narrow the list for you.  Have them pick 1 part per list and you got it.  You can use join() if you want to show a complete list at the end.  You could even check for dups then.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
GeorgeHilton__GISP
New Contributor III

Narrowing the list is what I have in mind but the master parts list (containing all possible parts for all possible models) will have over 170 choices total, which as I see it would require 170 different fields in a table.   Once a user selects a model a much smaller number of parts from the 170 will be available to select in Survey123.  As I see it I would still need to create a large number of fields in a table to correspond to each part (170 in my example) which is not best practice.  So I'm trying to figure out a better way such as multiple related tables (one related table per hydrant model?).  

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am confused as to why you think you need 150 fields.  Just use a repeat as James and I say.  No need for 150 tables either.  

I do this a lot here is an example.  This also gives and list and checks for dups.  I can add 1 or 100 species makes no diff.

Hope that makes more sense.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi George,

As Doug mentioned, it is possible to have the parts stored in 1 repeat section (with multiple entries).  You would use a cascading select to narrow down the parts based on the hydrant type selected.

0 Kudos
GeorgeHilton__GISP
New Contributor III

James,

External selects referenced in the link you sent might work for us.  My next question is: once an overall selection of needed parts is made during an inspection and is saved to itemsets.csv, is a separate itemsets.csv file created for each inspection or will it be grouped in one master csv file?  If they are all placed in the same csv file, how would I be able to extract the parts that were selected in each individual survey over time? 

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all of your help!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

itemsets for for the list not for the data storage.  Just create a repeat and look at the schema you will see it.

0 Kudos