Getting a Repeat to jump to top of Repeat section when creating additional repeats

12-17-2020 08:15 AM
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Using Survey123 Connect v 3.12.183 - I have a long-ish form that will have multiple repeat sections.  Right now it only has one repeat to test the concept.  When I initially activate the repeat section, I can populate the form until I get to the bottom where I click the advance arrow to open a new repeat but the form does not scroll back to the top of the repeat section.  Is there a way to make this happen?

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LeonardBarnhill,

There is not currently a way to configure if the form auto scrolls to top and bottom, but there are some shortctus to allow you to jump from the top and bottom of groups and pages, by clicking on the top or bottom menu bar.

Can you share your xlsx file so I can take a closer look and see if there is anyway to improve it to achieve what you are after with what currently exists.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for responding and offering to help.  I hope you have some time, I have several "wishes" for this form related to the Repeat function.  The first is the ability to jump to the top of the repeat section.  Related is the desire to format a repeat like the main body of the survey - adjust column width to make the form more compact by displaying multiple questions on the same row.  Currently, within a Repeat I can only display questions one below the preceding question bullet style instead of horizontal as is done in the main body.  You will see the difference when you get to the Pipe and Pipe Seal Investigation section at the bottom of the form.  Hint:  to display this in the entire form requires the user to select "Complete" as the Inspection Status.

Additionally, I would like to limit the the number of Pipe Evaluated options to the number f Pipes indicated in the Structure Details Group question No. of Pipes.  This currently limits the number of repeats  - so if I say 3 pipes as the number of pipes I should only see Pipe 1, Pipe 2, and Pipe 3 as options for the pipe to be evaluated.

You will see other items marked as Not Working Yet that can be addressed in additional support requests. 

I am also still puzzled by the "0" in numeric fields - why do some "0" get replaced by typing an entry and other just get added to the "0" - for example the question No. of Pipes has the default "0' when opened but typing a 3 yields the value 3 but the question immediately above Structure Diam the default "0' is not removed leaving a value of 048 instead of 48.

Sorry for the add-on questions.  I can resubmit these as unique requests if preferred.  You will see that some have been submitted but still unresolved.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LeonardBarnhill,

I will try to do my best to answer all your questions:

Q1: The first is the ability to jump to the top of the repeat section.

This is already logged as enhancement ENH-000127646, the ability to jump/scroll to the top of a repeat when select next new repeat. Currently there is no other way to do this, you can select the top and bottom green bar of the app to jump to top and bottom of each page/survey form.

Q2: Format a repeat like the main body of the survey - adjust column width to make the form more compact by displaying multiple questions on the same row.  Currently, within a Repeat I can only display questions one below the preceding question bullet style instead of horizontal as is done in the main body.  You will see the difference when you get to the Pipe and Pipe Seal Investigation section at the bottom of the form.

This is already possible using grid-theme. You need to specify a group inside of your repeat which has the w value set for that group. Please check out the Grid Theme sample in Connect which demonstrates how to set grid theme values on questions inside a repeat.

Q3: I would like to limit the the number of Pipe Evaluated options to the number f Pipes indicated in the Structure Details Group question No. of Pipes.  This currently limits the number of repeats  - so if I say 3 pipes as the number of pipes I should only see Pipe 1, Pipe 2, and Pipe 3 as options for the pipe to be evaluated.

I believe you could do this with a choice filter, but you will need to use an expression, to build up the number of choices to match a value in the choice filter of the choice sheet, as that will need to be one value. If you use a nested if statement in the choice filter of the select one question in the survey sheet, if the no of pipe equals 1, then use 1 in first column output, if the number of pipe equals 2, the allow pipe 1 and 2 by using a different column as the output, and so on, it will be complecated and depend on how many max pipes you want, but will work.

Q4: I am also still puzzled by the "0" in numeric fields - why do some "0" get replaced by typing an entry and other just get added to the "0" - for example the question No. of Pipes has the default "0' when opened but typing a 3 yields the value 3 but the question immediately above Structure Diam the default "0' is not removed leaving a value of 048 instead of 48.

This is due to the different question types and fieldTypes you are using. 03 is not a valid integer value, so in that case the 0 is removed to make it valid on data entry. However 048 is actually a valid double value, so there is no way to tell if you meant to leave the 0 there or not. When you click into a field, the cursor is moved to the end in case you need the existing values, especially if editing data. You can press the clear button to remove all values, or highlight the existing values with mouse or press and hold. One other way to avoid this is to not use the default value of 0, and make it required so the user has to enter a valid value, 0 or the actual number. Or use a calculation, instead of default, that only puts the 0 there is needed, otherwise leaves it blank for user to enter a value, and you can make it required based on expression also.

Hope this all helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos