Geopoint and Geoshape in same survey?

02-25-2020 01:36 PM
MichaelStroh
New Contributor II

I would like to collect either a geopoint or a geoshape based on a select_one choice.  I've used the relevant field to only show one or the other based on the select_one response, but get an error upon publishing that only one geometry field is allowed per table.  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Michael Stroh‌  The publishing error you are observing is expected. The ArcGIS data model only supports one geometry field per table.  If you include a geopoint and a geoshape question in the same survey you need to make sure they are not in the same table.  Separating the geopoint and geoshape questions in different tables is only achievable by adding repeat groups to your survey, although this does not seem practical in your case.

0 Kudos
MichaelStroh
New Contributor II

Thanks Ismael!  I redesigned to form to include separate group repeats for each geometry type and it seems to work fine.

0 Kudos
CédricVilleneuve
New Contributor III

Hi Michael, I'd really like to see how you set this up because I kindda want to do the same but I'm confused on how I could arrange my questions. Would you share your xlsForm or just an exemple?

0 Kudos
MichaelStroh
New Contributor II

Hi Cedric,

We actually ended up using splitting them out into different surveys in the end. Each separate repeat in a form creates its own related table, and we felt the advantage of having fewer tables to manage compensated for the slight hassle of needing to use two diff forms.

DanielleBargovic
New Contributor

Hi there! (Ismael Chivite, James Tedrick Survey123 Survey)

In and effort to achieve this nifty solution of embedding a survey into a story map I've hit a snag that I'm not finding a solution for. In this survey I'm creating, I would like the survey respondents to choose between adding one of the following a point (geopoint), line (geotrace) or polygon (geoshape). In selecting which type they would like to add using the radial buttons I've set the 'relevant' field to display just the 'shape-type' they select (which has been grouped by the repeat type knowing that I cannot have more than one geo-type within a survey without separating them with the 'start repeat' / 'end repeat'. This functionality works wonderfully HOWEVER I'm having the same problem as this user: See Link from a few years ago. I can add points and they show up fine but if I take the survey again and add a line it shows up at 0,0. Same with the polygon when I take the survey again. It's perplexing to me that when I add these features I'm doing so on a map, at a physical location, yet it's not retained when you look at the collected data within a webveiwer on ArcGIS online. 

I see in your response above that it's possible and then again in this blog post.

Another thing I tied was using the 'Lines and Polygons' sample in survey 123 connect. If I change that sample to be separated by the repeat type rather than a group the survey actually works the way I want it to but when customizing I loose the functionality I want to achieve. 

And finally, I've also attempted to set my point location to a default location (using this format: 43.051645, -75.794756 (upstate NY location) but that point doesn't show up as a default point I really feel like I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, 

|D

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Danielle,

A feature layer (parent or repeat section of a form) can only hold 1 geometry type.  As you pointed out, the way to work around that for the scenario you describe is to have a repeat section for each geometry type you want to collect.  A default location should only be a space separated <lat> <lon> sequence, no comma.

0 Kudos
DanielleBargovic
New Contributor

Thank you for your quick response James! Correct, my format within the xls is not separated by a comma, only a space (typo on my part) but it's still not triggering a default point on the map. Any other thoughts on why the default coordinates wouldn't be working and placing the point? Also should this method, of setting a default point coordinate remedy the problem I'm having of the lines and polygons displaying at 0,0? 

0 Kudos
choenig
New Contributor II

Hi @DanielleBargovic,

Was there ever a solution to the 0,0 issue? I'm running into the same issue.

I want to have the user decide "point" or "polygon" and then record on a map their answer. Since I cannot have two geoshape/points in a survey I have created a repeat where the geoshape is housed. But because of this, a point is recorded at 0,0. Any way to fix this? @IsmaelChivite 

Thank you!

0 Kudos