Filter second question depending on answer to the first question.

Jump to solution
08-16-2021 02:12 PM
hsem_sturgill
New Contributor III

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Not to dis on you Esri, but your documentation could be more descriptive/provide more examples for newbies.

I have a survey created in Connect that asks the user to input the County ($location_county) followed by a question to input the Township ($location_township). This survey covers the state of Minnesota. There are 87 counties and 2,775 townships. Currently, all possible County and Townships answers are in the Choices tab of Connect and the questions are select_one. I am doing it this way to control the quality and consistency of the input so that I can filter my data in a Dashboard by County or Township (or both).

Question 1: What is the best way to filter the possible answers for $location_township based off the selection for $location_county? If I select "Anoka County", I only want the user to then see the available townships within Anoka County. If the suggestion is to use Pulldata(), then I need some guidance on its use and what the setup of the external csv file would need to look like.

Question 2: Should I even have the list of Counties and Townships in my Choices tab? Is this too much data? Will it be faster to link an external csv?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For this you want the choice filter.  See here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-choice-filters/ba-... They have an example just like what you want.

Yes use a csv and it will be faster.  select_one_from_file should do it.

Hope that does it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For this you want the choice filter.  See here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-choice-filters/ba-... They have an example just like what you want.

Yes use a csv and it will be faster.  select_one_from_file should do it.

Hope that does it.

0 Kudos
hsem_sturgill
New Contributor III

Awesome, this is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

0 Kudos