'File Upload' field type missing in Survey123 Connect

Jump to solution
10-04-2018 06:42 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

I have built a survey to be used as a web form using Survey123 Connect. In addition to giving surveyors the option of uploading an image, I also want to them to be able to upload .gpx files (a file format that seems to be supported by the 'Image' field type). However, I don't want the 'Click here to upload image file' message to appear when requesting .gpx files so what I really need is a general 'upload file' field rather than using the 'Image' field for .gpx files.

When designing a survey using the Survey123 website, I can see a 'File Upload' option (located between 'Time' and 'GeoPoint') but I cannot see such an option on the XLSForm spreadsheet. 

How can I include a general file upload option in my survey using XLS? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The 'file' question type is missing from the XLSForm template, specifically because Connect and the field app can't support it, but it is possible to enter in a file question. Enter the question type 'file' into the form, and publish the survey (you can either select 'yes' the warning message that comes from entering a question type that isn't supported, or just remove the data validation entirely). The survey preview in Connect will display a question with no input, similar to a note type question, but it should work fine in the web app.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The 'file' question type is missing from the XLSForm template, specifically because Connect and the field app can't support it, but it is possible to enter in a file question. Enter the question type 'file' into the form, and publish the survey (you can either select 'yes' the warning message that comes from entering a question type that isn't supported, or just remove the data validation entirely). The survey preview in Connect will display a question with no input, similar to a note type question, but it should work fine in the web app.