Field Apps integration not populating survey 123 when question is in a repeat

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 02:18 AM
ChristopherDawe
New Contributor III

I am using Field maps to provide some basic information and location for surveys to be collected through Survey123. The field worker can use field maps to navigate to the desired pre-set location based on a point feature class, and when clicking in field maps a popup appears with a link that directs the user to the relevant Survey123 form. I have generated the link and tried to pre-populated some of the answers in the survey using the recommended steps in the following blog post https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/using-app-links-to-launch-survey123-from-explore...

I have noticed an issue in numerous surveys I am working with, where some of the information is carried across but not all. In the example below, the waterbodyID question in Survey 123 does not get pre-populated while the project_name and project_number do.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=ef11f2b318c1415a95677a9b34af5500&field:&field:project_number={ProjectNumber}&field:project_name={ProjectName}&field:waterbodyID={WaterbodyID}

Upon some further investigation into what could be happening and looking at the difference between the questions (they are all text questions with no difference in any settings), I realised that the waterbodyID question sits inside a repeat where the other two do not. It appears that the fact it is inside a repeat stops the carry-over of data from the point feature class.

Is this intentional behaviour and a feature that is likely to be implemented at some point further down the line. Without this ability, the user has to fill and submit the survey and then re-submit another entry

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The behavior you describe is expected. It is not possible to auto-populate records in a repeat using an app link.

I see a couple of potential alternatives:

1. Use the Survey123 inbox to edit your layer data. You can present your records as a list and as a map and launch the survey that way.
  2. Create a survey that targets only your repeat layer and then launch it from Field Maps

View solution in original post

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do for this is to push the value into a dummy hidden field in the main form. Calculate that into your repeats.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. The behavior you describe is expected. It is not possible to auto-populate records in a repeat using an app link.

I see a couple of potential alternatives:

1. Use the Survey123 inbox to edit your layer data. You can present your records as a list and as a map and launch the survey that way.
  2. Create a survey that targets only your repeat layer and then launch it from Field Maps
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What I do for this is to push the value into a dummy hidden field in the main form. Calculate that into your repeats.