Failed Upload of Report Template

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 04:50 AM
BenSiggery
New Contributor II

I'm trying to test a template I'm building, but when I upload it I get an error related to some text outside of my tags.

Error: An error occurred when checking the report template. The tag beginning with "Preliminar" is unopened. The loop with tag "" is unopened.

It's telling me the error is related to the title of the document?? Surely this does not need to be in a tag? Is this possibly an error related to the use of headings formatting in word?

BenSiggery_0-1649937111396.png

I've attached the file!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You open your repeat with $#{building_record}, but I believe it should be ${#building_record}, with the hash tag inside the brackets.

Let me know if that fixes it!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You open your repeat with $#{building_record}, but I believe it should be ${#building_record}, with the hash tag inside the brackets.

Let me know if that fixes it!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
BenSiggery
New Contributor II

Thanks so much! Doh! Silly mistake, but really strange how the error message translated it.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah, sometimes they can be pretty cryptic. At least it was an easy fix! 🙂  

My understanding for the way it was worded is that it detected that you wanted to close a loop with ${/}, but since the loop opening wasn't formatted correctly, it just defaulted to the beginning of the document. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
SWilander
New Contributor III

Hello, I tried to upload a report template after an edit and the report template never stopped uploading after an hour. I was trying to omit this large white space on the first page. What is the edit needed to shift the report up to the first page so there is not a blank page. I physically dragged it and that did not fix the output report. Any help is appreciated, maybe I could use a better source for writing report templates and the syntax needed to fix things like this, if you have a source to share that would be great!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmm...what's causing the table to shift to the second page is definitely this cell you have here with a large amount of text:

Katherine_Clark_0-1650470745517.png

I've never actually used if-statements within a report itself. Are you sure the syntax is correct there? What I might suggest doing is having a hidden field in your survey that will automatically populate with the corresponding phone number and email for the selected station. (use pulldata with a csv file). Then the report syntax would look something like:

For questions concerning the inspection or to reschedule a follow-up inspection, contact:
${station_phone} or ${station_email}

Would that work for you?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
SWilander
New Contributor III

Thank you for the response, so if I reduce the text in the cell? Delete a question? Reduce a signature box from 400 to 200? Is that the answer? This template is very similar to other templates that have been working fine for quite some time. It just has an extra line or two. The If statements have been working but I will check out pulldata syntax probably a more elegant solution. Will you share a source, your source for writing report templates like this one please?  I need instruction on the syntax and usage (examples would be nice too) Thanks again.

0 Kudos
SWilander
New Contributor III

I did use this Blog; https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/extending-survey123-smart-forms-with-custom-js/b... but I would love something more direct so I dont have to wander through content I dont need. Thank you

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

This documentation should be very useful

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/analyze-results/featurereporttemplates.htm

And here is a great post from James Tedrick about the pulldata function:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/use-existing-data-in-your-survey-the-pulldata/ba... 

Hope it helps!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek