Error Message : Unable to add Feature Service Definition

Jump to solution
01-28-2018 02:55 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Help with error message : "Unable to add feature service definition error code: 400".  I am able to upload other surveys it is just this one that continues to produce this error. Are you able to help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jonathan. Thanks for sharing the XLSForm. It is always useful to dig into the problem. Rows 35  and 48 in your survey worksheet have exactly the same value in the name column.  This causes an error when publishing the survey because  a table cannot  have two fields with the same  name.

Typically, when you type two questions with the same name you will see them highlighted in red indicating that they are repeated. For some reason that escapes me, the yearssinceburnt duplicate is not being highlighted.

Renaming either row 35 or 48 will do the trick. Now, because Connect failed to publish it is most likely that you have a folder in ArcGIS Online as a left over and Connect will fail when you try to publish again. I suggest that after renaming the question, and before you attempt to publish, you go into your ArcGIS Online and completely delete the survey's folder in your Content tab.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jonathan. Thanks for sharing the XLSForm. It is always useful to dig into the problem. Rows 35  and 48 in your survey worksheet have exactly the same value in the name column.  This causes an error when publishing the survey because  a table cannot  have two fields with the same  name.

Typically, when you type two questions with the same name you will see them highlighted in red indicating that they are repeated. For some reason that escapes me, the yearssinceburnt duplicate is not being highlighted.

Renaming either row 35 or 48 will do the trick. Now, because Connect failed to publish it is most likely that you have a folder in ArcGIS Online as a left over and Connect will fail when you try to publish again. I suggest that after renaming the question, and before you attempt to publish, you go into your ArcGIS Online and completely delete the survey's folder in your Content tab.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ismael,

thank you very much you were right and I apologise that my error was purely a checking problem . I already knew that you weren't allowed to have questions with the same name - just missed it.

The survey is now uploaded and published

cheers

Jonathan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ismael,

I am getting the same error as Jonathan while trying to publish a new survey, but I can not find any duplicate rows in the name column. What else could be causing this issue?

0 Kudos
JoeChampagne
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to get taller rows or the ability to re-size rows in the publishing window in the desktop app? I was receiving this error and there was feedback apparently visible on which question name was the problem but that feedback was completely unreadable because it didn't fit within its 'Details' cell in that window.

I eventually figured out the issue, but it's a bit of an embarrassing oversight to provide error feedback in the tool itself that can't be read.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback - I've logged an issue to address this in the future.

0 Kudos
PaulG
by
New Contributor II

Hi @IsmaelChivite , I am experiencing a similar problem. I created questionnaires using an xlsx files. All the 5 surveys are giving me this error when publishing, yet there are no duplicates in the 'name' column. Attached is one of the files.

Am grateful for any assistance. 

Paul..

0 Kudos
msevierTPCHD
New Contributor

I am having the exact same issue.  I have tried adding new fields/columns to my hosted feature service but it says that "Column names in each table must be unique. ". When I check there are no fields with the same name.  I've even checked the service definition and it's not there.  In addition I've downloaded the hosted feature service as a file geodatabase and in ArcGIS Pro I can add the new field.  So why can I add it in Pro but not in AGO?  Why does it see a field that doesn't exist?  I've been adding fields to my hosted feature service for months now and this error just started occurring about a week ago.  We haven't done anything to our HFS that would be a change that would generate this error.  It's only used for managing records/features that are generated in AGO dashboards.  I spent a 1.5 hours with an ESRI support tech trying different things.  None of which worked.

0 Kudos