Editor Settings for Add Only is not including Attachments

01-29-2020 04:10 PM
MichaelBrown4
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 (Portal) and I have a Hosted Feature Layer View that has a Layer and a few related Tables.  I wish to enabled the Editor Settings so that Editors can only Add features.  The attachments are being stored in one of the related Tables.  Users are submitting new records to this Hosted Feature Layer View via Survey123.

When a user submits a record via Survey123 with the Editor settings as Add Only, the Attachment they include is not coming through.  The form acts like it submitted OK, but the Attachment is not actually attached.

If I change the Editor settings to Add and Update features, the Attachment comes through OK and is in fact attached.

If I had to guess, I would say the record is getting created first and then the Attachment posted to it after as an "Update" and since this is not allowed under Editor settings of only Add features, the attachment does not post.

Is there another way I should be configuring my Editor settings or is this a bug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike,

Could you double check your target layer has Enable attachments setting under My Content tab of your portal?

Please check this link to see if you have set the permission with the layer:

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown4
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.  I checked the View layer and it appears to be setup to receive attachments OK.  Screenshot below.  Please note, my users can submit attachment just fine with the editor settings of "Add and Update", but their attachments do not submit with the editor settings of "Add Only".

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike,

Could you clarify that when you mentinoed that editor setting, did you refere to the survey123 webapp seeting or the portal feature service setting?

survey123 web app setting:

Collaborate tab>Submitter

or you refer to the portal feature service setting?

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown4
New Contributor III

I am referring to the Portal Feature Service settings.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike,

We do not recommend users to control the permission with the hosted feature layer level as it might conflict with the survey user's role on the survey123 website.

Could you try the same setting using survey123 website(connected to your portal) and try to edit the permission for submitter using "Only add new records" and "Add and update records" to compare and see if you are seeing the same behavior as the portal feature service setting?

To sign in to your portal in the Survey123 website, browse to the following URL in your browser, with the provided example portal replaced with your own portal's URL:

https://survey123.arcgis.com/?portalUrl=https://exampleportal.esri.com/arcgis

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown4
New Contributor III

I think I follow and will test this out.  One thing I will note though is that I need to make sure the View Feature Layer my users submit their data through is Add Only at the Portal Feature Service.  I do not want these users to discover the source Feature Layer and be able to Update the records in there so I need this View to be Add Only.

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown4
New Contributor III

Setting the editing permissions with Survey123 instead of on the Feature Layer worked.  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos