Select to view content in your preferred language

Designing the user interface of an app done with Survey123

06-04-2024 08:33 AM
LauraBoffi
New Contributor

Dear All,

my name is Laura and I am an interaction & service designer and researcher. Nice to meet you all!

My research focus is on supporting local biodiversity by engaging traditional agropastoral communities through participatory interventions, and I usually build prototypes and participatory actions to get local people interact with biodiversity, notice and reflect on it, their relationships with it and the way they value it, and co-create alternative and collaborative ideas to preserve it.  I am completely new to ArcGIS and I came across it some months ago, when I was building an app for my research purposes using a completely different platform, which is user friendly to designers (no code or low coding involved) but which has no GIS capabilities (the platform is open source and called Noodl). The app I am building is meant as a research tool for people to notice their ecological relationships with the environment and more-than-human-species around them, and reflect on these. The idea is that I will collect this information among different communities (my next fieldtrip is in Lappland, hosted by a reindeers shepherds community) and I will ideate prototypes and participatory actions for each community to support or update specific ecological relationships they described through the app.

I recently learnt that my app could be actually based on a Survey123. Using an ArcGIS tool like Survey123 would solve all my GIS related problems and it would be much faster and easier. I tried to build the app again using Survey123 and Survey123 Connect (using XLS form) and it actually was straightforward, but I lost all my UX and UI in the translation!!!

How can I get all my design as it was originally and as I want it?

I am linking a video of the first prototype I made in Noodl and I would be glad if you could help me out 🙂 with hints and whatever you think it could be helpful.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate any suggestion.

Laura Boffi

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Without knowing much about how Noodl works, Survey123 has pretty specific styling configurations in terms of what's present in the XLS and what you can do with it. Perhaps someone will come right along after me with a good suggestion, but I suspect the best answer is that all of your design and UI will need to redone and tailored specifically to how Survey123 reads the XLS.

LauraBoffi
New Contributor

Noodl is a graphical tool for app development: you build the GUI and actually the code is built behind it

0 Kudos