Default values are being applied to fields that are not relevant

07-24-2019 01:15 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are seeing the default value being populated even when a field is hidden due to a relevant.  These should go to blank right?

All of these Live should be blank

Did it in 3.3 it looks like and still doing it in 3.5.

Causing a big data issue for us.

Anyone else seeing this?

thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

This is a known issue and it is logged as BUG-000097105. If a question has a default and is set as not relevant on form load, the default will still be applied. This is a loading sequence issue and something we have flagged to address in 3.6. This has been the default behaviour which is expected with relevant expressions on load, however with recent changes in 3.5 to improve and make changes to how relevant and expressions work overall in the app, we are now able to address this issue. Hence why it has been flagged for 3.6.

Currently, as a workaround, you can try and use the calculation column instead of the default column to apply the value to that question.

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes I knew about and have posted the workaround for others.  I just thought all of this was finally addressed in 3.5.  I know that when a item goes back to hide the values get wiped so i thought it was working now.  To be fair there is still no sticky post for us to find out this kind of info.  I do not have access to bug lists.

I hate to say it Phil but this post kept me up in bed last night.  I just convinced another major program here with thousands of users to try 123.  My name is now on the line with this group and 3 others.  Now I have to tell them about a second round of major bugs - with the real hard part being explaining that it has been a bug for 4+ years and will still not be addressed this year.  This is a core function.

These things are not trivial as we often defend our data in court.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

The issue with default values populating when a question is not relevant has been fixed and you can test it out with latest 3.6 beta builds available on EAC. The latest version to test with is 3.6.100. Please let us know your feedback.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Doug Browning‌ a fix for this issue is now available with 3.6. Thanks for your patience with this. https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/09/26/hobbit-day-release-36 

Slamon
by
New Contributor III

Has this bug been re-introduced?  I am seeing similar behavior in my survey and am at 3.10

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Slamon,

The latest version is 3.12, have you tested with 3.12 Connect and the field app? If you still see the issue, can you please provide a copy of your xlsx file with details of which question you see the issue and the workflow to reproduce. Also if you have any media (images, csv files) used with the survey will need a copy of those too.

Thanks,

Phil.

0 Kudos
OussamaMerhi
New Contributor II

I have the same issue in latest version 3.12 when it is relevant. when it is not relevant it is solved.

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

I am seeing something similar in 3.13.239 

If I have a relevant applied and it meets that critera then the default value isnt applied.  Remove the relevant entirely then the value IS applied

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ChrisRoberts2,

Are you able to provide your XLSForm and media folder, and details of which questions you see this on and the workflow to reproduce it.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos