Default time for Date questions changed to 12PM

10-28-2019 08:29 AM
MariaNieves
New Contributor III

Why was the default time for Date questions changed from 12AM to 12PM? We have a date question with a constraint   .< now() that started failing for any surveys created before noon. This issue started since last weeks update of Survey123 for iOS. I checked my geodatabase and noticed the change in default time from midnight to noon.   

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They changed this because of the time zone issue.  If it defaults to 12 am and you go back an hour due to timezone it will go back a day which drove people nuts.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As Doug mentioned, the change to 12 noon local time for the 'today' mark was made to accommodate time zone issues, particularly:

- Consistency of day across a daylight savings switch (when the time 'falls back', previous results will be seen as the previous day)

- Consistency of day when viewing results that were collected across time zones (the 12 noon solution works well continental-level collections, which can span up to 7 time zones)

0 Kudos
MariaNieves
New Contributor III

Thanks for the answers. I changed my constraint from .<=Now() to .<=Today () and that works fine for us. 

0 Kudos