Data Lost When Saved as Draft

07-05-2018 05:40 PM
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi all, I've found since I've updated the Survey123 App on my phone (iPhone 8 using 11.3.1), that some surveys saved as a draft often lose some data when I re-edit the survey (but not all), this occurs quite regularly with my version of the Survey123 app (2.8.2). It didn’t seem to be an issue with the previous version that I was using (not sure of the version). A colleague using an iPhone 7 and IOS 11.4 is having the same issue. It's slightly random which values get lost, and sometimes on re-editing again, some values re-appear.

0 Kudos
41 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

I tested the survey and related csv file you sent in released Connect 3.2 and Beta 3.3 and also released Field App 3.2 and Beta 3.3 and when I complete and submit a survey, and then open via Sent box as edit existing or Copy to new survey, I see all the previously entered data in all the fields, none of them are blank. I also tested Inbox, Drafts etc, and the survey appears to be working as expected in both 3.2 and 3.3?

If you can shed any further light on your issue happy to take another look.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, what’s different then? I just tried again, completed all the fields, saved the survey, opened it again in the Outbox, and the only field appearing other than the defaults is the Site name and the Observer. Then I sent the data and all the fields were correctly recorded. I’ve had to remove most of the “Required” options, because the form won’t send if they appear to be empty.

However, I asked another staff member to try the same survey and his worked fine, and a third staff member is still having problems with losing data in another survey. Most of the others (at least 5 more) are also having issues with data missing when reopening the survey from sent items or drafts.

I’m using an iPhone 7 with the latest software, I’ll try and do a bit more digging to see if I can see what ‘s different between us all. I might even try on my daughter’s android!

Regards

Jon Marks | Senior Analyst, Environmental Science

GREATER WELLINGTON REGIONAL COUNCIL

Te Pane Matua Taiao

2 Fryatt Quay, Pipitea | Wellington 6011

T: 04 830 4140 | M: 027 609 8912

www.gw.govt.nz

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

I am not sure and we would need to try debug this further and the exact devices it fails on. Can you try and uninstall the app completely and install 3.2 from store or 3.3 from EAC? Also try deleting the survey and downloading again, and if that fails we should try deleting the data that is stored in the ArcGIS folder on the device in the My Surveys folder (for that survey) as well as the database folder. Only do this if you do not have any other surveys with data or unsent surveys on your device that you need.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hey again Phil, I was just doing the same uninstall process for the desktop version of the field app and have not had any success. I completely uninstalled the app using the MS “Add/Remove Programs” tool, checked in the applications folder and watched the folder be deleted (I’m now only showing the “Survey123ConnectforArcGIS” folder) and then reinstalled the field app. When I opened it, all my existing surveys were still there and it actually asked if I wanted to discard a draft survey. So something is hiding somewhere and not being completely removed when I do the uninstall, as there are still empty fields in these surveys.

Any ideas about this issue and how I can completely remove the app?

Cheers

Te Pane Matua Taiao

www.gw.govt.nz

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

All the surveys, attachments, designs and sql database are stored in the the following folder: C:\Users\{username}\ArcGIS on Windows and similar folder called ArcGIS on Android, iOS, MacOS etc.

Also there is a settings json file for the app in the following folder: C:\Users\{username}\ArcGIS\AppStudio\Settings\

I think the best bet is to uninstall your Connect, field app, AppStudio apps, and then delete all the files/folders in the above 2 folders, and then reinstall the apps. Only do this if you are ok with deleting everything and ensure you do not lose any unsaved data or copies of surveys or attachments. Maybe copy them to another folder as a backup before deleting.

Let me know how you go.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Yep – that’s much better thanks, another colleague is still having issues with her iPhone, so I’ll try removing all the data from her phone, uninstall and see how we go.

Te Pane Matua Taiao

www.gw.govt.nz

0 Kudos
JulieMikolajczyk3
New Contributor III

How do I get to the "user" folder on an ipad? I thought the only way to access files on ipads was through itunes, and those folders are not available?

I'm having the same issue as others, but with nested repeats and even just going back and forth between the records that are being collected (hitting the arrow button).

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Julie,

You will need to connect the iPad to a PC/Mac with iTunes and copy it over. See Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for more information.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, we’re still having issues with data being lost from our sent and draft surveys. All our staff have the issue whether using a phone , iPad or using the desktop version. To confirm the data is retrievable by connecting to iTunes and downloading the database, but this is not ideal.

So I spent a bit of time this morning trying to narrow down what is causing the issue by gradually deleting fields from an existing survey. I’m pleased to report I’ve had some success!

For some reason if I delete the constraint in the SecondObserverID field (see files attached) no data is lost when I review a draft or sent survey. If I put the constraint back in, we lose data from some fields. I’m pretty sure the syntax of the constraint is correct, but please advise if it’s wrong.

I’ve removed the constraint from a couple of other surveys and the problem has been solved in these as well.

We have this field in most of our surveys and fortunately the constraint is unnecessary so I will remove it as a quick fix. Can you confirm if you experience the same issue using the attached files?

Regards

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

We have just updated new 3.4 beta builds to EAC which address some issues around required, relevant, constraints and repeats. Can you please test out those new builds with your survey, and see if the same constraint problem occurs still when opening from Drafts or Sent box.

You can find the latest 3.4 beta builds here: Survey123 Early Adopter Community.

Phil.

0 Kudos