Current location of device, "Hidden" location attributes

Jump to solution
08-05-2018 02:27 PM
RobertMEIER
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey and am using the Inbox function to edit existing features, but not the geometry. I want to access the current location information of the device so I can compare the current location of the device to existing features.

I read a post (i can't find it) that mentioned accessing "hidden" location attributes.

I can use the pulldata function to get the position of the geopoint in the current survey, but how to I get the current location of the device?

Do I remove the geopoint referencing the current feature for the survey, then add a fake geopoint to get the current location.

The reasoning behind this is to make sure the currently selected survey/feature is the one the device is nearest to.

Thanks

Robert Meier

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

It sounds like what you want to do is have two geopoint questions in your survey, so you can compare the first one which is the actual geometry of the feature, to a second geopoint which is the current location.

You could do this using a  geopoint question, which is the geometry, so will reflect the feature, and then add a second geopoint question but set the bind esri field type to "null". If you don't want the users to edit them, you could set them as read only, or put them in a collapsed group etc. You can then use pulldata() calculations on both these geopoints to work out if the location is the same or how far different they are. 

Is that what you were after?

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

It sounds like what you want to do is have two geopoint questions in your survey, so you can compare the first one which is the actual geometry of the feature, to a second geopoint which is the current location.

You could do this using a  geopoint question, which is the geometry, so will reflect the feature, and then add a second geopoint question but set the bind esri field type to "null". If you don't want the users to edit them, you could set them as read only, or put them in a collapsed group etc. You can then use pulldata() calculations on both these geopoints to work out if the location is the same or how far different they are. 

Is that what you were after?

Phil.

0 Kudos
RobertMEIER
Occasional Contributor

Philip.

Thanks for the reply, your answer triggered a memory of reading about the null field type, that is exactly what I need.

I found more info in this blog post Power of Nothing.