Creating a survey in survey 123 that calls different questions based on field values

Jump to solution
02-07-2020 06:59 PM
MichaelOrfanos
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to create a survey that calls other survey forms based on a given attribute value in a specific field. 

Field name:                  Area

Drop-down option:       North   >  links to survey form with 6 questions

South   >  links to a different survey form with 12 questions

I have googled the hell out of it to no avail...

cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

If you can include all forms into one single survey, then using 'relevant' will be the best option. The idea is to hide the irrelevant questions base on the selection of the 'Area' question. 

First add all questions into the survey, with your 'Area' question on top on all the other questions. 

For questions that link to the 'North' answer, add a sentence like 'selected(${area},'north')' to the 'relevant' field of these questions, and do the same for those link to the 'South' answer, using 'selected(${area},'south')'. 

But if your idea is to open another survey in the middle of a survey, the method I suggest is to use two apps: include your 'Area' question in the Collector, then open a Survey123 form from the Collector. Please see this page for more information: Integrate with other apps.

This blog about relevant is very useful: The art of hiding.

Cheers,

Sun

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jing_Sun
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

If you can include all forms into one single survey, then using 'relevant' will be the best option. The idea is to hide the irrelevant questions base on the selection of the 'Area' question. 

First add all questions into the survey, with your 'Area' question on top on all the other questions. 

For questions that link to the 'North' answer, add a sentence like 'selected(${area},'north')' to the 'relevant' field of these questions, and do the same for those link to the 'South' answer, using 'selected(${area},'south')'. 

But if your idea is to open another survey in the middle of a survey, the method I suggest is to use two apps: include your 'Area' question in the Collector, then open a Survey123 form from the Collector. Please see this page for more information: Integrate with other apps.

This blog about relevant is very useful: The art of hiding.

Cheers,

Sun

MichaelOrfanos
New Contributor

Thanks Sun, relevant seems to do the trick

cheers,

Michael