Create Survey123 survey but only allow attributes to be updated on existing feature service

01-14-2019 09:45 AM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am creating a survey to support the parks and rec staff to help them change the status of our sport fields from "OPEN" to "CLOSED".  When the fields are too wet for sports they must be "CLOSED".  Once the status is set messages will be triggered to social media. 

I have created a hosted feature service in AGOL that shows all of our sport fields with their name, type, address, and status.  I have set the editing to "Update attributes only".  I have created a Survey123 form that only has one question:  "Field status - OPEN or CLOSED".

But here is my problem - when the survey is opened in the Survey123 app on a mobile device the user still has the option to choose "Collect" which will create a new record without a geopoint.  I would like my survey to be restricted to just the "Inbox" (existing records).  Is this possible??  I thought setting the feature service editing to "Update attributes only" would prevent Survey123 from creating new records.

9 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bernie,

There is not currently a way to disable the 'Collect' option in the Survey123 Field App, however, I have added your request for this enhancement to our internal log. 

One way to address the issue might be to have a select_one question as your first question, asking "Are you sure that you would like to create a new record?" All other questions could be within a Group that has a relevant applied at the group level.  If the answer is yes, the questions would appear, if the answer is no, you could have a message asking the submitter to exit the survey and direct them to open the Inbox.

berniejconnors

Brandon,

It's good that you have added this deficiency to your internal log because your suggested work-around is terrible. No offence intended, but some of my coworkers are UX experts and they'll laugh me out of the room if I suggest your workflow.

Thanks,

Bernie.

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

Brandon,

What if I am starting the Survey123 field app from a URL in a web map? Is there a url parameter I can use to start the app in the Inbox mode? Currently I am only passing the sport field name in the url:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=#####&field:Facility=Wilmot Park

Bernie.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bernie,

At  the moment, only the creation of new surveys (new records) is supported by the url parameter. It is not possible to edit existing records. We do have an open enhancement request for this and I have updated your comments in the issue.

Brandon

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

Thanks Brandon.

0 Kudos
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Dear Brandon,

I would like also "vote" for the enhancement of functionality which Bernie mentioned - restrict surveys just for existing features in existing feature service.

Is there any plan for this enhancement?

Thank you.

Vladimir

Vladimir
0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Vladimír,

Thanks for the feedback.  At this point we do not have a definite plan for this, but are gauging customer interest for it.

AnthonyRyanEQL

My thought would be to use Collector to modify existing feature attributes or have a web app with editing capabilities enabled as this is not the purpose of Survey123

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

Anthony,

That's a good point. This is my first attempt at configuring a field app. I have not tried Collector yet. I wanted the simple, form based input so I used Survey123. Can I get similar form based input with Collector?

Bernie.

0 Kudos