Correcting Point Data from Survey123 with GNSS coordinates

06-07-2023 11:28 AM
AlmaA
by
New Contributor III

I am fairly new to Survey123. I have a series of data points that were collected during fieldwork. We also have coordinates for those same points that were collected with external GNSS equipment. 

Does anyone have any idea how I can  "fix" my Survey123 points with the more accurate GNSS coordinates?

I do plan to keep using the survey to collect more point data in the future. So I would like these corrections to be reflected within Survey123.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AlmaA

You will need to update the features geometry with the coordinates from the external GNSS equipment. The manual way of doing this directly in Survey123 is to load the feature in the Inbox, open the feature from the Inbox, open the geopoint question, select the globe on the top left to change the Search mode and change it to Map coordinate input only, enter the coordinates that were provided from the GNSS receiver, and submit the data. 

You can also use Python for a more automated approach, please see this Esri Community post for more information on an automated workflow. I've attached a workflow that uses the ArcGIS API for Python instead of ArcPy like in the Esri Community post that will use geometry from a second layer to update the geometry in a first layer. Since each scenario will be unique you will likely need to modify the code to meet your environment. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
AlmaA
by
New Contributor III

thanks so much for this @ZacharySutherby !  I am looking through the code and at the Esri Community post you shared.  Do the layers (original_item and fixed_item) have to be feature layers first in MyContent in ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AlmaA

Correct the way the update_geometry script is currently written it assumes original_item and fixed_item are items in your content. That doesn't necessarily have to be the case if you have the GNSS coordinates as attribute fields in your services' table you can just make a connection to that layer pull the coordinates from the attributes then update the geometry with those values. It just happened in the scenario where that script was written there was a second feature service that had the correct geometry. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
AlmaA
by
New Contributor III

One more question... do you know if UTM coordinates will work or should I first convert to lat/long?

0 Kudos
AlmaA
by
New Contributor III

Update for anyone who comes across this issue and is inept at Python like me (working to change this!)...

You can change the geometry of your Survey123 points by going to that FeatureLayer in your ArcGIS Online and then clicking on Update Data > Append Data to Layer.  See Append Data to Layers here for more info

In my case, I had an excel with a matching field (Object ID) as my feature layer, and lat/long coordinates (cannot UTM!)

Check the box for Update Existing Features, select the field(s) you want to match, and check the box for Update geometry for existing features.

0 Kudos