Control which fileds are editable in Inbox

03-29-2018 07:43 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to control which field are editable when a from is accessed from the inbox. I a base survey with a repeat I would like my users to only be able to enter data within a new repeat which I have set through the bind::esri:parameters field. I wasn't sure if this used to control edits outside of the repeat as well.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brent,

Yes, it's possible to set which fields are editable.  Make the fields 'read_only' so that values are loaded into them but not otherwise accessible.  Another alternative might be to use a note, but you could encounter some text to other data type conversion issues.

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James,

Thanks for your quick reply,  I think I did a poor job of explaining my work flow, the survey is for an insect trapping program where the entire form is completed when the trap is deployed and then will be visited periodically to see what was trapped. What I was hoping is to restrict the user to only be able to edit data with in a new repeat each time they visit the trap (while still being able to view the rest of the form) which can be partially accomplished with bind::esri:parameters field. I was wondering if there is a way to similarly restrict edits outside of the repeat?  I think your suggestion might work if I made a second copy of the from and set the fields that are not to be edited to read only and then set the form the the same submission url, however I would like to only have one form for this if possible.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest using a different workflow.  Make a new form for each visit.  That way you have full editor tracking and all that (day, time, who visited, etc) .  Plus they can copy over from the last visit make a few changes then submit.

Then have a FC of trap locations.  Create a relationship class between the FC and the visit form.  Now you can click a point and see all the visits (without dealing with a level down relate).

Then if you really want to get fancy load the trap points in collector with all the base fields.  Then launch Survey123 from Collector - using URLs to fill out the header.  Now you have a full connected workflow.  See this post for more page 7 - https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche...

Just a thought - we changed to this style of one form per visit vs one form for all and there are a lot of advantages.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos