Compact-n appearance

Jump to solution
07-08-2021 02:09 AM
LouiseHarris1
New Contributor III

We have just upgraded to the latest Survey123 Connect version and apparently you can specify the max number of columns your choices are displayed in using compact-n appearance.  I was just wondering how I can get the new compact-n appearance to work. I thought it might be listed in the appearance choice list but it isn't. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LouiseHarris1 

You can ignore this data validation warning by clicking 'Yes'. 

JimMoore_1-1626064600270.png

You can turn off the warning message (or disable data validation completely) by changing the data validation settings for a cell or range of cells. You'll find the data validation settings on the Data ribbon in Excel:

JimMoore_0-1626064435798.png

There are other times when you need to ignore the data validation rules in this column. For example, when setting the 'w' property to set cell widths for grid theme surveys, or when specifying multiple appearances separated by a space. We'll review this warning message for the next version of the template to see if it can be improved.

Best, Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. You need to type compact-n manually. For example: compact-3 will use up to 3 columns (if there is enough space). compact-5 will use five columns, etc.

0 Kudos
LouiseHarris1
New Contributor III

Do you type this in the appearance field? If so I get this error

LouiseHarris1_0-1625760158210.png

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LouiseHarris1 

You can ignore this data validation warning by clicking 'Yes'. 

JimMoore_1-1626064600270.png

You can turn off the warning message (or disable data validation completely) by changing the data validation settings for a cell or range of cells. You'll find the data validation settings on the Data ribbon in Excel:

JimMoore_0-1626064435798.png

There are other times when you need to ignore the data validation rules in this column. For example, when setting the 'w' property to set cell widths for grid theme surveys, or when specifying multiple appearances separated by a space. We'll review this warning message for the next version of the template to see if it can be improved.

Best, Jim

0 Kudos