Select to view content in your preferred language

Choice filter not working in Survey123 Connect

Jump to solution
12-12-2023 02:27 PM
ScottPool
New Contributor II

Hi there,

For some reason I can't get the choice_filter functionality to work. I followed the exact steps in this guide (Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Choice Filters - Esri Community) but it doesn't seem to work for me. No choices appear in the Regions question when I select a country.

Anyone know what the issue might be? I've attached photos to show exactly what I've done and what's happening. I've copied the exact example from the guide above too.

The only fields filled in for the "region" question is type, name, label, and choice_filter. Every other field is empty.

I also replaced 'selected(${country}, country)' with 'country=${country}' in the choice filter and it worked fine but I need the region question to be multiple choice and the latter expression doesn't work for multiple choice questions.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

what version of Survey123 Connect?

Does this happen with the choice filters sample survey or just your XLSForm? If the latter, can you share it?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

3.10.239? That is VERY out of date. 3.19 is the current version. You will want to start by updating Connect. I'd suggest doing so from the Microsoft Store if you can, since that will auto-update for you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

what version of Survey123 Connect?

Does this happen with the choice filters sample survey or just your XLSForm? If the latter, can you share it?

0 Kudos
ScottPool
New Contributor II

Hi, my Survey123 Connect version is 3.10.239 (updating fixed the issue).

The problem occurred in all of my surveys where I tried to implement it. However, I was only testing it in the Form Preview within Survey123 Connect (where it never worked). I just re-published a survey with the choice filters added and it works as expected in the published version. It still doesn't work in the Form Preview in Survey123 Connect though.

So, it seems the problem is that the choice filters using the above methods don't work in the Form Previews for any of my surveys, but they work in the published versions.

Updating to the latest version seems to have fixed it!

Thanks!

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

3.10.239? That is VERY out of date. 3.19 is the current version. You will want to start by updating Connect. I'd suggest doing so from the Microsoft Store if you can, since that will auto-update for you.

ScottPool
New Contributor II

And yep, I tried the sample survey and the same problem I was having was still occurring.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you tried putting quotes around the text?

selected(${country}, 'country')

0 Kudos
ScottPool
New Contributor II

Yep, have tried that and that didn't work either

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you tried theCascading Selects example built into S123? If that doesn't work, it is definitely a software issue as @ChristopherCounsell stated.

I have attached a simplified XLSX with a working choice_filter (using two different formats).

0 Kudos
ScottPool
New Contributor II

Yep, have just used the built in "Choice Filters and Cascading Selects" sample and the choice lists still don't appear in the Form Preview where the 'selected(${question}, column)' choice filter method was used, as was happening in my surveys too.

Edit: Updating to the latest version fixed the issue!

0 Kudos